Chapter One

I've added a picture of what I imagine Elle looking like(: Check it out above (if you're mobile) or to the side.

Chapter 1

School had not begun yet. Chase, Nash, Sienna, and I always meet and wait in front of the school building for the bell to ring. We were all seventeen, close to eighteen and graduation. Only Nash was two years younger and a sophomore. He and Chase became good friends by playing basketball together, and Nash was so funny that he fit in with all of us.

"Ayy, baby cakes," Chase greeted me when I arrived, pinching my cheeks.

I fake pouted and whacked him with my book bag. "I know why God didn't give me a brother."

He rubbed his shoulder and whimpered like a dog. " I do too, Elle."

On cue, Sienna and Nash showed up. They carpool since they live so close to each other.

"Stop whining!" Sienna begged. "Elle, slap him for me." I slapped Chase on the back of the head.

"We might as well make it Hit Chase Day," Chase muttered.

"That sounds like a great idea," Nash said, grinning. His bright blue eyes shined, even with the storm clouds covering the sun this morning. Sienna laughed, and he proudly watched her button nose crinkle and brown eyes shine. Today, Sienna rocked the jean short, loose tank, and combat boot. Her caramel skin and light brown hair complimented each other perfectly. Nash had his eyes on her, a lot. But he was two years younger. His baby blues and thick blond hair were cute enough, but Sienna wasn't interested in anyone and I didn't think he had a chance.

"I'll call the calendar makers tomorrow, but if you excuse me, I think that was the bell," I said, sprinting to make it inside before the others. Every morning, we somewhat had a race to see who could get to homeroom first.

"Ow! Chase tripped me!" I heard Nash cry.

Giggling like mad at my head start, I made a huge mistake-I ran right into the closed school doors. Out of embarrassment I swiveled my head around to see if anyone had seen.

That's when our eyes met for the first time. And he smiled.

My heart beat picked up and I scrambled back into a standing position. I remembered the race I was currently in and rushed into the school building.

------------------------------------------

That hair. That smile.

This school was big enough to where I could still see someone every so often that I had never noticed before. But I could not have missed that face for this long. We were already a few weeks into the second semester. Was he our age?

I got to homeroom last, sadly. My little run in to the school door didn't help, but neither did my wandering thoughts.

Those eyes.

Sienna nudged me. "What do you think everyone is whispering about?" she asked quietly.

I shrugged. "Why don't you ask Chase? It looks like he's chatting with his basketball friends."

"But he's all the way over there! I don't want to yell!"

"Then throw something," I suggested.

She eyes me warily. "You know I'm too ladylike for that."

I sighed. She always had me do her dirty work. I took off one of my Vans and threw it at Chase's head. It hit the mark, and ruffled his sandy hair.

He whipped his head around and his eyes quickly met mine, narrowed. "Elizabeth!"

He used my full name-I was in some deep shit. "Why do you automatically think it was me?"