Chapter Two

My friends and I met up like normal in front of school the next day. Nash was telling some weird story of his when Cameron glided over to us on his longboard, hopped off, and picked it up over his shoulder. He ran his fingers through his thick brown hair. It was styled perfectly upward.

Never before had I felt self concious. Suddenly I wondered if my outfit was as put together as it could have been. I had thrown on ripped skinny jeans, a loose black tank, black combat boots, and a gray beanie over my long, straight hair.

"What's up, bro?" Nash said. "Is that your mode of transportation every day?"

Cameron nodded. "I've had it as long as I can remember."

"Bro, I need to get me one of these," Chase said jealously. "It looks so..."

"It looks so bro, bro," Nash helped out.

Sienna snapped, "Oh my God. If a male says bro one more time..." She returned to Instagram on her phone, muttering to herself about the declining male population.

Cameron cracked up. I smiled watching the pleasant sight of his crinkled eyes and wide, toothy smile. He caught my eye and grinnned back, making my face pink in embarrassment.

"You guys want to try it out?" he asked Nash and Chase.

The two boys' eyes lit up. They both exclaimed, "Seriously?"

Cam handed his board over, and they were off. Literally three seconds later, Nash crashed into a tree. Sienna rolled her eyes and left to help him.

Me and Cameron. Cameron and me. Together alone. Do not panic, girl. Hold your shit together. That's what you've always been good at.

"You said your name is Elle, right?" he asked, making polite conversation.

I nodded. "Short for Elizabeth."

He smiled. "Oh. I like that. Sorry about Western Civ class yesterday. And now you're stuck with me to work on a project that I know nothing about."

"Don't worry about it," I said. "All we have to do is research and make a PowerPoint that doesn't look like we copied and pasted from Wikepedia. And if you want, I can help you with your other classes whenever we get together to work on our project."

He exhaled in relief. "That would mean so much to me. I can't let my grades drop now."

The school bell interrupted our conversation. It was race time. "I'll catch you later!" I said quickly and took off, leaving him in the dust.

Nexy thing I know, Nash and Chase sped by on Cameron's longboard.

"That's not fair!" I yelled. My hair flew into my face as they raced past me.

"You're not winning today, Elizabeth!" Chase yelled back. I don't know why he always called me my full name, but I learned to get used to it.

I could not lose again. Yesterday was the first loss I'd had since second semester began. I could not let my pride be scarred again. That's when a brilliant idea hit me like the spring wind. "Hey Nash! Sienna just tripped!"

Nash, who was leading the longboard, turned around to look with worry on his face. By doing so, he disrupted their balance. Both of them fell and crashed onto the concrete. I caught up the board. Using my right foot, I stepped on the end it to flip it back over and hopped on like en expert. I leaned over them and said, "You two are too easy," With that, I rode back to Cameron. "Sorry about taking off like that. We race to homeroom every morning. Need a lift?"

He grinned at me. "I was watching you. You know your way with a longboard." He hopped on behind me and steadied himself by putting his hands on my shoulders. "Consider me impressed."