Chapter Five

The breeze blew my hair back as I followed Cam on our long boards. I had always loved spring nights. The sun was gone, but a tinge of its warmth still hovered over the surface of the earth. A soft breeze blew over my skin, arousing goose bumps.

"This is perfect," I muttered blissfully.

"Way better than any lame, stuffy party, right?" Cameron chided, gliding next to me.

"Way better," I agreed with a smile.

"Good," he said. "We're almost there."

He turned onto a familiar street, and I followed.

"Cameron? Why are we on the street where I live?" I asked.

He pulled ahead and smiled over his shoulder. Next thing I knew, we were at my house. We dropped off both of my boards on the porch next to Cameron's that he had left earlier.

"Why are we here?" I asked, laughing.

He put his finger to his lips for me to be quiet, with that adorable grin of his. He carefully turned the nob of the front door and pushed it open. I tried not to giggle as he dramatically tip-toed across the main floor to the stairs. The faces he was making were priceless. I followed close behind. Halfway up, he abruptly stopped and put out his arm to hold me back. His eyes wandered all around and above us. He licked his pointer finger and lifted up in the air as if checking the wind.

"You know my mom sleeps as dead as a rock, right?" I whispered.

Cameron quickly shushed me and continued forward. I followed his escapade until we finally entered my room. He got into his schoolbag from earlier and took out rolled-up lace material with a hook in the center.

"What are you doing with that?" I asked.

Once again he left me clueless without a response. Cameron moved my bed against the wall and climbed onto it. He put a command strip on the ceiling and attached the hook on the lace. The material draped like a canopy over my bed, with an opening in the front. I immediately figured out and climbed up beside him.

"This is so cool," I said. "Did you bring this with you earlier?"

"I had my mom drop if off," he said. "It used to be my sister's, but she moved out a while ago. As soon as I saw your bed, I was reminded of it. Sierra, my sister, had a bed like this. We'd play in it all the time." He smiled at the memory; then it faded into sadness.

I reached out for his hand. When I made contact, he jumped in surprise. I immediately drew my hand back. "I'm so sorry," I apologized. "I didn't mean anything by it. I was just trying to-"

"No, don't apologize," he said. "I was just lost in my thoughts, and it took me by surprise is all."

"Are you okay?" I asked, concerned.

He instantly perked up as if flipping a switch. "Of course I'm okay, Elly Belly. Oh! Guess what!"

"What?" I laughed as his child-like, excited expression.

"I brought a scary movie." He barred his teeth and wiggled his fingers. "I'll go get it and change into comfier clothes."

Cam climbed over me and back down off the bed. He grabbed a bundle from his bag and headed to my bathroom. When he tried to twist the door knob, it wouldn't budge.

I groaned. "Sorry. It sticks sometimes. But you can change out here. I don't mind."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, Nash and Chase do it all the time." The offer came out without any self-control. What I said was true: I was used to boys changing in front of me. But this wasn't just a guy friend of mine. This was Cameron.