Chapter Four

Chapter 4

My leg would not stop bouncing. Sienna finished making me over, and now I sat on the edge of my chair waiting for her to get ready herself.

"Elle, you're making me nervous just by looking at you," she said as she wrapped a piece of hair around the hot curling wand. "Calm yourself. You look the best I've ever seen you!"

I tried to smile, but it most likely ended up looking like a grimace. My knee wouldn't stop bouncing, so I held it to the ground with both hands.

"You better not sweat through that dress," she warned. "It's the nicest one I own."

Sienna was right about that. My amazing best friend put all selfishness aside and did everything she could to make me look the opposite of my usual self. In other words, I looked like a confident girl on her way to a party. I was still working on the confidence part.

"How much time until we leave?" Sienna asked. She finished up her hair by spraying on some glitter.

"We have a half an hour," I answered her. "Oh my gosh, that's too soon. I'm not ready."

"Don't worry. I'm sure Cameron will be absolutely blown away by your transformation."

My eyes opened wide. "I don't like him like that!"

"Then why had he already been here when we arrived?" she questioned.

"I'm helping him with his schoolwork to help him catch up after moving," I explained. "Nothing more than that!" My mood dampened as I replayed what he said in my mind. "We're just friends and that's all we'll ever be."

"I wouldn't think that for too long," Sienna said. She took me by the arm and led me to the full-length mirror. "Look at you, Elle. He'd be crazy not to fall madly in love with you as soon as you walk down the first step."

I sighed. "No guy would ever fall for a girl like me. I'm not date material."

"Yes you are," she insisted. "If anything, being different than all the normal girls makes you even more attractive. Now look at your reflection in the mirror and say 'I'm beautiful'."

"I didn't ask for a therapy session."

"Just do it, Elizabeth."

I closed my eyelids and exhaled. Slowly I reopened them and studied my reflection. I barely recognized myself. Instead of my black hair straight and in my face, it was pulled back into a messy, curly ponytail. I wore a white, Greek-style dress that came down to mid thigh and that completely contrasted my normal black and gray wardrobe. It had no shape to it, but it hung nicely around my curves. The thin straps came together in the back to form a criss-cross pattern across my exposed shoulder blades. My shoes were white strap-heels, and my jewelry consisted of large, gold hoop earrings and a gold arm cuff. Maroon red lipstick added drama to my look, along with my white-to-gold smoky eye and winged false eyelashes. All in all, I felt runway ready. I'd never felt like such before.

I breathed out the words in awe:

"I am beautiful."

------------------------------------------

We decided to be a little late to walk downstairs to keep up the boys' suspense. That, and maybe also because Sienna had to calm me down after a few mental breakdowns. It was a few minutes past nine o' clock and the full moon shown bright through the windows when Sienna and I walked down the stairs. Dim lighting set up the scene perfectly, but I was utterly nervous. The nerves weren't, in fact, from lack of confidence in myself or my appearance, but more from anticipation of Cameron's reaction. Would it be a movie moment like I'd hoped?