6. Engagement✔

Next Morning, Mehra Mansion

Ajay had woken up early in the morning. Not because he was excited for his engagement, but to go to Mehra Industries as his time was wasted in shopping. The twenty-seven year old man was of the opinion that the time he had wasted on shopping, could have been utilized for taking Mehra Industries to new heights. He got dressed up hurriedly and came downstairs.

He sits in the living room and gives the newspapers a quick look, while eating his breakfast. As soon as he finishes it, he gets up to leave the house, when he is called back by Mala. "Where do you think you are going, Ajay?" she asks him. Ajay replies, "To office, of course." Mala shakes her head and says, "Today is your engagement, you cannot go anywhere." Ajay sighs and says angrily, "Fine. I will go to my room and work from there. Don't expect to help in the preparations." Saying so, he angrily leaves to his room. Mala sighs.

Evening, 5 PM

Ajay is busy working in his room, when Mala entered and said, "Get ready Ajay. The Mehtas will be arriving anytime." Ajay nodded and got ready in his engagement suit. 

He came downstairs to find his family sitting and talking to Mr and Mrs Mehta. His eyes search for Nidhi but couldn't find her. He takes the blessings of his would-be in-laws and sits down on a separate sofa. He again looks around for Nidhi. Suddenly, Mala says, "She is with Rahul. She will be here soon." Ajay looks away embarrassed and says, "I was looking for my wallet." Everyone chuckles.

Few minutes later, Rahul entered along with Nidhi. Ajay looked at her. She was wearing a heavy embroidered, turquoise blue lehenga and was looking extremely beautiful. For a moment, there was a strange stir in Ajay's heart. This beauty was about to become his. His chest swelled with pride. Nidhi sat down beside him. 

His thoughts were interrupted by Rahul, who said, "You both are wearing same colour dresses even without discussing. Meant to be together." Nidhi lowers her head blushing, while Ajay ignores him. They were given rings. Ajay slided the ring in Nidhi's finger and she followed. Everyone clapped. Rahul and Rohit whistled. Reeta hugged Nidhi, welcoming her into the family. Nidhi kept looking towards the floor, feeling too shy.

Parth nudged Nidhi, "Arey Nidhi, talk to him. Tomorrow we will be leaving for Ahmedabad. You will be able to meet him only if he comes to Ahmedabad or at your own wedding."

Nidhi blushes and lowers her head further.

Vijay says, "At least exchange your phone numbers. Rahul, give them each other's number. Both of them are feeling shy."

Rahul takes Nidhi's number from his phone and saves it in Ajay's cell phone. He gives Nidhi a missed call from Ajay's number and hands over the phone to Ajay. Ajay looks at his phone screen to find Nidhi's number saved as 'My Dreamgirl'. He gives Rahul I-will-kill-you expression and quickly keeps his phone in his pocket.

The rest of the day is spent teasing the couple.

Nidhi's POV(Nidhi's Room, Mehta House)

Looking down at my ring finger, I smile at the ring on it. The symbol of our love, our relation. I am already his and only marriage is left. Two months and I will be completely yours, in all senses.

I smile remembering how Rahul had made us wear similar colour clothes.  After our engagement, when he saved my number in Ajay's phone, he saved it as "My Dreamgirl". I was shocked. But then I thought, maybe Ajay had shared his thoughts with his brother, maybe he reciprocated my feelings, maybe he was also attracted to me. Maybe....

_______________________________________

So, how is it? 

~Purnima