19. Can't You Forgive Me✔

Delhi

Nidhi and Ajay reached the Mehra Mansion late at night. Everyone was already asleep. They entered their bedroom. Nidhi went to change in the washroom, while Ajay disappeared into the walk-in closet. As they re-entered  into the room, Nidhi moved towards the couch.

Ajay spoke, "You don't have to sleep on the couch, Nidhi. You can sleep on the bed. If you are uncomfortable in sharing the bed with me, I will sleep on the couch." "No need, Mr. Mehra. I am very much comfortable on the couch," said Nidhi.

Ajay asked her, "Can't you forgive me?" "And why should I do that?"

Ajay sighed. Nidhi laid down on the couch and closed her eyes. Ajay moved towards the bed and laid down. 

Ajay thought, "Why did I hurt her so much? I am a fool. A big one." He remembered Nidhi's words from the previous day.

I will come with you to Delhi. We will be together until six months of our marriage our completed, to avoid trouble. And then we will be separated. You will not have to share your room or life with me.

"No. She can not leave me. No. I need her. No." He started feeling restless. He wanted her in his arms. But how could he even dream of it. He hurt her. He broke her. This is his punishment. The thought of her leaving him started haunting him. He curled up in a ball and cried himself to sleep.

Next Morning 

Everything was normal in the Mehra Mansion. Everything except Ajay. He was feeling too much tired, not physically but mentally. It seemed to him as if he had not slept for ages. Nobody was interested in talking to him. Nobody cared if he was unwell. He felt like an outsider in his own family. 

Ajay thought to himself, "I know that I have done wrong but can't they forgive me and give me another chance. Am I so bad?"

He left the house without having any breakfast. Though Nidhi felt bad, she decided to ignore her feelings. That night, Ajay returned late at night and slept, or rather cried himself to sleep without dinner.

A week passed like this. Ajay's health kept deteriorating. He skipped his meals and in case he couldn't skip it, he ate very less. It seemed he was trying to punish himself for hurting his wife. Nidhi observed everything he did but kept quiet. She ignored his pains but was aware about each one of them. Each except one.

Ajay had visited a tattoo studio two days after returning to Delhi. He got his wife's name inked on his spine.

The tattoo artist continued warning him that it was going to be too painful but he did pay attention to his words

The tattoo artist continued warning him that it was going to be too painful but he did pay attention to his words. Instead he thought, "It is nothing in comparison to what I did to her."

He was successful in hiding his pain from Nidhi and everyone else. He wanted to show it to her but he was afraid that she'd take it otherwise.

Night, Balcony adjacent to Ajay's Room

Nidhi was standing in the balcony, looking at the beauty of the night and thinking about the happenings in her life. Her heart was telling her to forget everything and give Ajay the love he needed. Her mind kept on reminding her the pain she went through. She did not know whom to listen to.

Ajay entered the balcony and held her by her arms. "It has been a week Nidhi. Can't you forgive me and give me another chance?" "You want another chance? Do you even remember what you did?" saying so, Nidhi left the balcony in anger. Ajay took a deep breath and remembered those two days which changed everything.

_______________________________

So, how is it?

What had happened in those two days? Any guesses?

~Purnima