07|

Millie was standing outside the door to her room, she didnt have her key with her, so she would have to break the doorknob. Of all the people that she thought would keep secrets from her, she never thought that Kate would. It was unfair of her to use the fact that she had once tried—and failed miserably—to kill herself against her, as if that were reason enough to not tell her things.

She had been in a dark place. She was close to a breaking point, to giving up to giving into Micah and his demands. She rest her forehead against the cool wooden door fighting back tears of frustration. She didnt want that anymore, not really. But Kate had known, probably for the entirety of their friendship, the truth about what she was, about why she existed. She heard footsteps behind her and she pushed off the door and relaxed her posture.

"Hey," greeted Jeff from behind her, and Millie turned and was met with a wide smile and an absent wave.

He was all cloaked, his backpack thrown carelessly over a shoulder.

"Hi," she smiled back.

"Is everything okay?"

Millie nodded her head but then sighed and said "No, not really."

"Wanna talk about it? I know place where you can get some great food."

A small laughed bubbled in her throat and she nodded. That did actually sound like something shed like to do. Millie followed him downstairs and now sat in Connie's kitchen, with a piece of what looked to be blueberry pie in front of her.

"Where is Mrs. Burge?" she inquired looking around.

Jeff filled a glass with milk and placed it next to her plate before taking the stool next to her. "I think she has a date." A small smile curved on her lips. Even the older woman had a life, and now she felt just a little pathetic.

"Whats wrong?" he asked turning to face her. Millie angled to him and sighed when he absently, gently brushed back a lock of stray hair from her face.

"My best friend came into town today and we had sort of a fight and we never fight, not like this. I just found out that shes been hiding, things from me. And I guess I can see why she would but I still dont get why she didnt trust me enough to tell me the truth."

"Maybe she had a good reason for not telling you," he suggested.

"Maybe she did, but it still hurts to know that she hid something like this from me."

"I'm sorry you were hurt." He brushed the back of his fingers against her cheek and warmth bloomed in her stomach. He leaned forward but this time she didnt pull back, instead she rose to meet him. His lips brushed against hers slow, testing and a little unsure. Millie moved her hand to the back of his neck and pulled him closer sinking herself into the innocent taste of his kiss. He pulled back and gave her a soft nervous laugh, a blush warming his way across his face and at that moment she thought he was just so very cute.

"Am I interrupting?" wondered a voice from the door.

Jeffs gaze lifted and Millie turned to find Kate occupying the space, studying the interaction between them.

"No," Jeff cleared his throat, shifting away from her guiltily. "I was uh, just leaving. I'll call you later."

Millie nodded as he left allowing Kate to take his spot beside her. Millie said nothing but turned away from her applying herself to eating the pie with more concentration than necessary.

"He's cute," she started. Millie nodded not taking her gaze off the pie. "Is he the one you were telling me about? Millie, please dont shut me out. I hate you being mad at me."