08|

Millie dragged her hands down her face and pushed away the book in front of her very frustrated. In the time that she’d been down here she had read maybe two pages, or was it just two sentences. Her mind had been too preoccupied with Theo and what had happened in the hall. Every time she thought about the way he looked at her, her mind would wander to what would have happened if Kate and Drake hadn’t come along when they did. What she wanted to happen. She didn’t think of sex often, but around Theo it was the only thing she seemed to be thinking about.

And then there was Kate. She couldn’t hide the sense of betrayal that surged every time she looked at the one person she counted on to be by her side. She couldn’t really stay mad at her for any length of time, because she knew her better than just about anyone. Millie could understand where her reasoning had come from, though it didn’t lessen the sting of hurt she felt, she understood what her best friend had done and why.

Her phone beeped and she looked at the screen thankful for the distraction that was until she saw Jeff’s name flash across the screen. She groaned aloud, she was a horrible person. She’d made plans to meet him after his class and then go to lunch, but one look at the time, told her that it was long past lunch and he would be on his way to his next class. She typed out a quick apology and asked if he would be open to go to dinner. His response was immediate and it made her smile.

Focusing on Jeff instead of Theo was a much wiser decision. Jeff was simple, anything to do with Theo and her feelings for him were messy and complicated. And right now she didn't need any more complicated in her life.

There wasn’t much that she had to do, not that her mind was coherent enough to focus on anything so after she sent the text she made her way back to her room and took the time to pamper herself. She took a long soak in the tub and carefully chose what she was going to wear when she met Jeff for dinner, although her wardrobe was sufficiently lacking in anything that would be considered appropriate for a date—but she still tried.

She could have always gone a raided Kate’s clothes—as she had done in the past—but she just wasn’t ready to face her yet. She was going to shelf that particular problem for another time.

She took her time, leisurely readying herself and was warmed when Jeff looked at her. Half of his reactions to her might have been part of her glamour but she pushed that aside and let herself enjoy the pleasure of his company.

“And then—” he broke off abruptly and his expression went blank.

Concern filled Millie and she reached across the table and took his hand shaking it lightly. He still felt warm and his breaths were even. Her gaze swung to either side of her, but she sensed nothing. There were no internal warnings of Vampires close by and only the chatter of the other patrons surrounded her.

“Jeff?” his face looked like his, but there was something off with him. “Jeff? Are you okay?”

“Hello Millie,” she gasped and pulled back her hand, hastily glancing around the restaurant hoping that no one had noticed her bizarre reaction.

His eyes, had glossed over just before it changed to a golden hue that reminded her of someone else’s  eyes.

“Theo?” she whispered in mortification looking around “What are you doing?”

“Hitching a ride inside your boyfriend’s head. It’s quite interesting, the things that he thinks about when he’s with you. Would you like to hear?”

“No. Will you get out from inside him?”

“Do you really think that this is a good idea? Being out with the human.”