20|

Millie sat, folded in one of Theo's large sweaters watching the people around her. A small smile formed on her lips. Kit, Jay and Vin were in an animated discussion about something—she wasn't sure what about but they were lively.  It wasn't so much the conversation that interested her but the reactions that they gave to it. Bastian was sitting by the window, silently, watching.

He was a solemn person, she gathered, never saying much, or really anything, but Theo respected him, trusted him; he even held a certain fondness for him. It was also obvious that Bastian was very loyal to him. Millie sensed that he would, given the chance, trade his life for Theo's.

There was only ever Kate, the one person who she trusted above all, the one person she knew she could count on in any situation. It pleased her now to know that she could count on the people in this room to—as they were doing now—try and help her figure things out.

Theo moved toward her and pulled her into the shelter of his arms pressing a kiss to her temple. Millie snuggled into his warmth as Kate took a seat opposite to her, the others moving in to form a small circle.

No one said anything and the tension in the room built.

"Everybody's so serious," Millie jested with a small laugh, but their faces were still tense. "Seriously guys, lighten up."

No one did.

Theo took a deep breath before starting. “We think that going to talk to the Ancients is possibly the only way to find answers now."

"So what’s with the meeting?" wondered Kit.

"Because this is a last resort and we're going to see a particular group. There is a hierarchy even among Ancients." Millie wasn’t even surprised.

“The Ancients are an elitist bunch of bastards,” added Drake earning a snicker from Jay and Vincent.

“Thanks buddy,” Theo started drily earning a slight, unapologetic nod, the mood in the room considerably lighter now, thanks to the cuddly teddy bear that was Drake. “The Old Ones. They were there from the very beginning even before us. They don’t really care to mingle with humans, they think its beneath them. Anyway they keep to themselves hidden away in Romania. If there is some way to break the bond between you and Micah they will know about it.”

“Will they help us?” she wondered.

Kate nodded. “They will. Micah is threatening to upset a balance. He threatens the anonymity of us Immortals and they won’t want that. They like living in the superiority of our race.”

“Sounds like a fun bunch,” supplied Kit sarcastically “No wonder you guys left.” 

She was trying to feel hope of any kind, or maybe she wasn’t. She knew that if she hoped for a miracle and didn’t get one that it would hurt all the more. But she put aside the feeling of despair that was ebbing close to the surface because more than the fact that she wanted this to work, Theo and Kate needed it.

He was kissing her and she felt it all the way to her toes. There was a gentleness in him that was at odds with the storm that she knew raged under the surface of his control. She broke away from him, her fingers tracing the line of his lower lip. His eyes were burning with lust and her heart stuttered. Millie touched her forehead to his.

“Make love to me,” she whispered.

He pulled back, his abstruse gaze boring into her face and she wondered what exactly he thought about what she’d just said. Even if she could feel the potent gust of emotion—one of which she hoped had been desire—that rushed into him and over her she still wasn’t very sure about it all and nerves flooded her.