thirty

"Hey, Nemo."

Nicholas opened his eyes, lifting his head up. He felt it spin, whirling from his lack of sleep, but his gaze quickly landed on Dina. The world around them disappeared as he stared deep into the abyss of her dark eyes.

Today her hijab was different than usual, so was her outfit. With a dark pink hijab wrapped around her head, a rosy sweater that fell to her mid thighs, and jeans that hugged her legs like a glove, she looked breathtaking. He noticed the extra inch in her height, eyes on Dina's black ankle boots.

When she noticed his gaze on her outfit, she blushed, turning her cheek away, holding her books to her chest. "So... um... are you alright?" she stumbled.

"Yeah."

Dina took the seat next to him. They were both early to class. Nicholas checked the time on his phone; there was still almost an hour left before class started. He had come early to finish his essay on Malcolm X, but Professor Jerikson was nowhere to be seen, probably sleeping in. While waiting for his professor, Nicholas had fallen asleep.

Dina bit her lip. "Look," she said softly, "I'm really sorry if I did anything to make you uncomfortable and I know you probably don't want to talk about it, but I swear I was only looking out for you when I told Elijah."

"How do you know Elijah?" he asked, suspicious.

"Oh, I know his girlfriend."

Nicholas stayed silent. That's how Elijah knew. She told him.

"I swear I didn't mean to hurt you, so please don't be mad at me. I just wanted to make sure you were okay, but I understand if you never want to talk to me again because that was confidential and I'm sure you don't want me near you right now-" rambled Dina as she fidgeted in her seat, avoiding his eyes.

Nicholas felt a small smile tug at his lips, finding her even more adorable than before. "Dina," he started, cutting her off. "It's okay."

"But-"

"Look at me," he probed gently.

Slowly, she lifted her head, brown eyes locking onto Nicholas's blue ones. Dina's lips parted ever so slightly as Nicholas grinned at her, feeling a wave of comfort fall over him, wrapping the blanket of her voice around him. Nicholas lost himself in her eyes, unconsciously leaning forward.

"You look beautiful today," he whispered.

A faint blush covered her golden skin. "T-Thanks," she stuttered.

His heart thumped against his chest, the sound rocking through his body, and blood rushing through his veins. He felt awakened by her presence, by her smile, by her irresistible personality. Nicholas couldn't fathom the million thoughts in his head as he became consumed with Dina. She had him in the palm of her hands.

Her lips tempted him, the string between them thinning, and he knew that she was thinking the same, but Nicholas was better than that. He would not take advantage of a woman. He would not tell her sweet lies. He would not paint her innocence with sin. Nicholas was not that type of man.

He leaned back in his seat. "You know," he said, "it's getting really hard to control myself around you."

"You sure have gotten bolder," she mumbled, a teasing smile on her lips. "Not like the Nemo who broke the rules in a library."

He chuckled deeply. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Dina raised a brow. "Complimenting me is definitely a step up for a shy guy like you," she remarked.

"Maybe I'm not that shy around you."

"Oh?" she smiled knowingly, "And why is that?"

"Maybe because I finally found a girl that doesn't judge me."