fifty-two

Nicholas's temper stopped short of a ticking bomb. His father's secretary gave him a bigger headache than his college professors. 

"Look, I just need to speak to my father," he said, trying to keep his cool.

The secretary frowned. "I understand, but Mr. Muller is busy in a meeting at the moment," replied the impotent man behind the desk.

Meeting my ass, thought Nicholas with a scowl. He's just hiding like the coward he is. 

Fists clenched at his sides, and teeth grinding against each other, Nicholas took deep breaths in an attempt to relax his tense body. Spinning on his heel, he sat back down on a waiting couch nearby. Fury pulsed through his veins, yet his visage remained indifferent. 

His father continued to play a game of chess with Nicholas, screwing with his life as if he was the king and Nicholas was the peasant who bent at his father's will. Nicholas knew his father jeopardized his chances in other workplaces. 

His father had a calculated plan devised for Nicholas's obedience. If his unemployed status did nothing to render his determination to stay away from his family's business, then his father targeted the person he couldn't live without. He targeted Dina.

The door creaked open. 

He stood up, meeting his father's icy blue eyes, bright with false happiness. His usual placid smile painted his lips, giving the illusion of a gentleman. His blonde hair was swept back as usual, a clean shaven face and shining teeth. His sleeves were pulled back, exposing pale skin that mirrored Nicholas's.

They were identical in every way, yet they were strangers to each other. Father and son was only a written relationship on his birth certificate. There were no emotional attachments to this man.

"Nicholas, it's a pleasure to see you again," the devil smiled.

"We need to talk."

His father opened his door to his office wider, a knowing gleam in his eyes. "Well, by all means," he said, gesturing Nicholas to enter. 

As Nicholas walked into the CEO's office, a chill fell across him like a sleet of ice fogging his glasses. Memories flood his mind once more, tormenting Nicholas until the oxygen stopped flowing and his mind became hazy.

This was the room where his parents decided that a mental hospital would be the best for their son. This was the room where his heart broke over and over and over again. 

Uneasy and nervous, he sat in the vacant chair while his father leaned against his desk. 

Nicholas's father was too casual, too calm. Something was up, something was turning the gears in his head, and Nicholas knew from experience that his father's mind did nothing but formulate immoral strategies. 

"What did you need to talk about?" he asked, still smiling like he won the lottery. 

Nicholas glared. "You're forcing Dina into marrying one of your employees."

"And if I did? She seems perfectly content with marrying a Muslim man with a good job." 

That stung a bit. "You're forcing her!" exclaimed Nicholas, standing. "She has a God given right to refuse any marriage. You can't take that away."

His father tilted his head, blue eyes studying him. "You seem to care a lot about this girl, son."

"You already knew I did."

His grin only widened. "Perhaps."

Nicholas clenched his fist, hating how coy his father was being as if nothing Nicholas said had pulled at his heartstrings. There was only one way to settle things with him, only one way to guarantee Dina's freedom without anyone else suffering the consequences.