forty

Nicholas's mind was oddly silent that morning.

There were no protests, no oppositions, no doubts to infiltrate his mind. His heart led the pathway to redemption, his feet following close behind his thoughts. He was expecting a chain around himself, a shrieking pain to expel him, or even a cloud of fear.

Yet no sudden shadows had taken form.

"You sure about this, Nick?" asked Haroon, walking beside him as they entered a local mosque where Humaid and Haroon occasionally lead prayers. "Don't force yourself into Islam if you don't truly believe."

He released a shaky breath. "This is the only thing in my life that I've ever been so sure of."

Humaid, who was on the other side of Nicholas, smiled a grin bright enough to light the night sky. His golden skin glistened under the moonlight, seeming as though during the daylight hours, the sun had personally come down to bless his skin with a gentle kiss of light. It wasn't just Humaid who seemed more radiant than others, but all the Younes siblings.

Somehow the twins had pulled him from his comfort zones with the help of Elijah, and they introduced a religion unlike any other. Their small acts of faith tempted Nicholas like the apple that tempted Prophet Adam (peace be upon him), except it tempted him away from the world of sin he had known, the world where there were no consequences for white men like him.

Dina had saved Nicholas from committing the biggest sin of his life. She prevented his suicide, allowing him to relish morning hours of joy and pleasant surprises in the comfort of his friends' arms and laughter. Her smiles still kept him from returning to his imprisonment because he knew that Dina would be standing there to support him through all, reminding Nicholas of all that he had.

"Nick," started Haroon as he paused his steps in front of the mosque. The religious building proudly sat on a mountain of marble, wooden doors of an auburn shade that mimicked castle gates from the Middle Ages and Ottoman Empire castles. "There is no turning back from this. Are you sure about becoming a Muslim?"

"You've asked this at least twenty times by now."

His hazel eyes glimmered, lips curving into a small smile as he shook his head. "I know, but this is a big decision."

"I know."

"Islam is not only a religion but a lifestyle. There are guidelines on everything, ways to live, things that are prohibited, mandatory prayers, it's just-" he rambled, hands flying around as he frantically spoke.

"Haroon," warned Humaid. "Nicholas knows this. He wants to be a Muslim for Allah, right?"

Nicholas nodded.

"So leave everything else to Allah," said Humaid softly.

With a deep breath, Haroon straightened, adjusting the beanie on his messy hair. Pulling his brown jacket closer and pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose, Haroon offered Nicholas a reassuring grin.

"We'll be here to help," he said, "no matter what happens, we will always be here for you."

Nicholas felt his emotions rise up to his throat, the small whispers of fear vanishing as he heard their words and gazed into their eyes full of wonder, awe, and love. The Younes twins loved Nicholas for who he was, for how witty his remarks tended to be, for how reserved he was.

Before them, he never knew any love outside of the romantic barriers, yet as his closest friends stood by him, Nicholas truly believed that Dina had been brought to him for a purpose. She stumbled into the college library that day because it was destined, written in ink, and perfectly placed for Nicholas to begin the healing process.