2

"—In other news, animal attacks have skyrocketed over the nation

"—In other news, animal attacks have skyrocketed over the nation. The death toll continues to climb as—"

"Take this," her father's voice cut off the reporter's broadcast. Arryn looked up to see her dad holding an ice pack. His hair lay in disarray with a few grey strands peeking through the Auburn.

She never noticed the grey before. Where was time going?

"Thanks." She took the ice pack from him, placing it on her swollen cheek. If only for a moment, a bit of relief fell on the tender skin as the ice numbed the dull throbbing.

"How's your arm?" he pressed. His eyes lingered on the dark imprint of a shoe tattooed onto her skin in bruised, purple ink.

"I'm fine, Dad. It's just a bruise. I'll live," Arryn said, shifting her gaze away from his eyes.

She focused her attention toward the painting jutting out from the beige wall, wishing nothing more than to get lost in its image. On the canvas, meticulously painted blue waves surrounded a lighthouse, a beam of light illuminating the darkness. A Bible verse was written within the light. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it. - John 1:5.

Most nights, one look at that painting would calm her nerves. But tonight, it generated images of the black tar oozing from the deer's wounds. Deep within her mind, the sounds of the creature biting into that helpless man haunted her. Every time she closed her eyes it came rushing back to the surface.

And then there was Josie. Last she heard, she was in critical care with a collapsed lung and several broken ribs. The terrified expression on Josie's face as she flew back kept replaying in Arryn's mind. If she focused hard enough, she could hear the crunching of bones upon the impact of the hooves.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He took a seat beside her on the couch.

"It ate that man. I can't get that out of my head."

His hand found her shoulder and pulled her into him. "Rabies is a hell of a virus. Your mom and I are just happy you're okay."

Arryn closed her eyes. The deer waited for her, it's crimson snout practically grinning at her. Her hand gripped the fabric of her jeans tightly.

"Do you want to talk about the other thing instead?" her father asked in a low voice. He seemed to realize that she didn't want to go into detail about the deer.

She gulped. He was talking about the conversation at the table before the deer.

"It seems silly now after everything. I'm just worried..." she trailed, trying to find the right words. "What if everything changes? What if I don't have time for my friends or for you and Mom? Claire and I might lose touch since we are going to separate places, and what if Lincoln is too busy with school work to spend time with me?"

"Arryn, all those things are a possibility, but you guys have been friends forever. I don't think you would let that stop you three. Keeping these things locked up inside will only drive you crazy. Before I met your mom, I never had someone like that to confide in."