4

"So, do you think it had rabies?" Claire popped her head in between the seats

"So, do you think it had rabies?" Claire popped her head in between the seats. Her pale skin glowed from the moonlight shining through the windshield.

"I'm sure of it. It looked just like the pictures in textbooks — foaming mouth and bite wounds everywhere."

"Wow." Claire shook her head. "What about that man? The one the deer took a bite of. Did he make it?"

Arryn's heart accelerated at the mention of the man. The noises from the creature tearing into him still echoed in her mind. "No. I saw them wheel him out in a black body bag while I gave the police my statement."

Her body stiffened at the words. It almost had been her in that bag. Dead at eighteen. Her plans becoming nothing more than what-ifs.

Lincoln's grip tightened around her hand, taming the rapid beating of her heart.

"That's terrifying." Claire's hand came to rest on Arryn's shoulder. "I'm glad you're okay."

"We're here," Lincoln announced, turning into a gravel driveway hidden by trees.

Rocks popped underneath the tires as Lincoln pressed the truck forward into the dark woods. Peeking in between the branches overhead, moonlight made the car strobe like a nightclub. Her eyes widened as they rolled into the clearing.

"What happened to a small party between friends? Weren't there only supposed to be ten of us?" Lincoln asked, pressing on the brakes.

"It looks like he invited the entire senior class," Arryn muttered, counting cars overflowing the driveway into the grass. "There's at least fifty people here."

"So, either Austin has more friends than we thought, or he lied." Claire didn't sound surprised.

"Did you know he invited more people?" Arryn turned to her friend, raising an eyebrow.

"He may have mentioned it earlier, and I may have forgotten to pass it along since, well you know, the deer happened." Claire cringed, flashing Arryn an apologetic smile accompanied by doe eyes.

"His parents are allowing this? All these cars will ruin the yard." Lincoln shook his head.

"Lincoln you sound like a grumpy old man. You're eighteen, live a little," Claire teased.

"Claire, Arryn's has a rough day. The last thing she wants is a wild party." He turned to look at Arryn. "Should we leave?"

He was leaving it up to her.

Arryn glanced at the house. Some people were gathered on the porch, holding red, plastic cups in their hands. Muffle music came from inside the house. It appeared to be a party— an actual party she had only seen on movie screens.

It would be a perfect distraction from the nightmare playing on a loop in her mind.

"No, let's stay. This is exactly what I needed." Arryn pulled her attention away from the house, meeting Lincoln's eyes.