24

"Hey dad, it's me Arryn again

"Hey dad, it's me Arryn again. I can't believe it's been a month now since you left. I still think about you, mom, and Lincoln every day. It's been hard, but Dante has really stepped up since you left. He's been watching over me and being there for me when I need him." Arryn played with the baby carrot in her hands absentmindedly.

"Our crops have started to grow. We got our first batch of baby carrots in today. The lettuce should be done tomorrow and the beans next week. Claire also started a garden with Trinity. I would've brought you a rose but the flowers still have a while before they bloom."

She bent down, placing the baby carrot on the soil in front of her father's rock headstone. The green grass had started to grow back over the dirt.

"We're starting to run low on supplies. They're talking about making another run soon. The garden should hold us off for a little while, but we need more medical supplies and food. Dante ate all the cookies we had." She cracked a smile at her last statement.

A breeze rustled her hair as she peered up at the overcast sky. Rain looked to be in the forecast.

"We finished the fence yesterday. Dante and Daniel did an amazing job. You would have been proud. The rabids appearances have been less and less frequent since the last time we talked. I wonder if it's getting better out there? Maybe they found a cure?"

The leaves rustled in the wind, sounding like rushing water.

"I better be getting back. Claire, Austin, and I are supposed to go fishing. It's nice to have one form of meat that can't get rabies. Plus we have an endless supply of them. I love you dad and I'll try to get back out here as soon as I can. Say hi to mom and Lincoln for me."

Arryn rose from the ground, taking one last glance at her father's burial site. I love you, Dad.

Arryn headed back toward the lake house with her head down. These weekly visits with her dad always made her miss him more. She entered the front door and headed towards the kitchen. She needed a small bite to eat before spending a few hours on the lake. Before rounding the corner, she heard two familiar voices arguing in a hushed tone.

"I don't trust him, Claire. You saw Jonathan's face. Dante only said he got shot, not that the 'other survivors' beat the snot out of him too. He's hiding something, and if you want my honest opinion, he killed Jonathan to take control of the group," Austin argued.

"Dante has been nothing but nice to us since we got here. Plus Arryn trusts him. Why do you have to turn everything into a big conspiracy?" Claire retorted.

"He tried to shoot Arryn when we first got here! I'm just trying to look out for her!"

Is this what he really thinks happened? There's no reason for Dante to turn. He and my father have always been close. Why else would my father tell me to trust him?