6

Stained shoes and white tile became Arryn's fixation over the next hour

Stained shoes and white tile became Arryn's fixation over the next hour. Worry ate away at her insides like moths devouring clothing. Plus, the burning sensation of her parents' gazes on the back of her head made her nervous.

They hadn't said much after they found out she was okay. Just looks of disappointment and promises of talking later. But she didn't care about her punishment. All she wanted to know was how Lincoln was doing. The last update was half an hour ago.

This shouldn't have happened. They should have stayed in for a movie night. Lincoln would be fine, and she wouldn't have almost died for a second time that day. Why had she been so selfish?

Approaching footsteps turned her gaze upwards. A female doctor walked towards Lincoln's parents. "Mr. and Mrs. Mosely, I'm here to inform you that your son is out of surgery. Due to the severity of his fracture, we had to place several pins along his ulna." The woman flicked her eyes down to the chart for a moment, quickly resuming eye contact with his parents. "Also, we have the dog sent off for testing of the rabies virus. Until we get the results back, we recommend beginning treatment for rabies. The shots are not comfortable and will leave him sore over the next few weeks, but if we wait for symptoms to appear, it will be too late."

Arryn closed her eyes for a moment, letting the relief settle in. Lincoln was going to be okay. Her prayers went through.

"Of course," Mrs. Mosely said, intertwining her fingers with her husband's. "Whatever it takes to make our son okay."

"Good." The doctor flashed them a smile. "We also started IV antibiotics to prevent any infection from taking root. The serrated edges of the animal's teeth cut into the bone in a few places. He does have stitches that will come out next week at his recheck. In six weeks, we will need to re-x-ray to see how the bone is setting and possibly re-wrap his cast."

"When can we see him?" Lincoln's father asked.

"He's in the process of waking up at the moment, but family is allowed to visit. The rest of you may come during normal visiting hours tomorrow from noon til 8:00 pm."

"But—can't I just see him for a second. He saved my life and I just want to thank him," Arryn begged.

She needed to show her appreciation. She hadn't seen him since the paramedics whisked him away. Without Lincoln, she wouldn't be standing here.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but it is past normal visiting hours. He needs rest."

A hand came to rest on her shoulder. Mrs. Mosely gave her a look of understanding. "We'll tell him, dear."

Defeat fell over Arryn. Did his parents hate her now for putting their son in harm's way?

"We're glad you're okay, Arryn." Lincoln's father wrapped her in a hug. The tightness made her bruises ache, but the gesture warmed her heart.

They still loved her.