Part II.1

> continue: iteration 23, day 6, early night

Holy shit... that's it. That's actually it.

> what

The porn is the key. The porn is the key!

> story of your life huh

Ha! Go fuck yourself. And no, I mean it's the -- well. It's like this, all right?

So an hour or two ago, I'm looking for this circuit diagram I saw in the notebooks somewhere. (I've been trying to get a better idea of how the mana detector functions lately.) I couldn't remember which book it was in, but I knew that it was towards the beginning somewhere. Because that's just how my memory works sometimes, I guess.

> the human brain: confounding itself on a routine basis since 80,000 bc

So I'm going through and looking at the first few pages of each notebook, right? And that's when I noticed there was some encrypted text on page three of the red notebook, and a dirty story on page three in the green. And they're about the same length.

I started going through and comparing. Time and time again, pages with cipher text in one notebook would have corresponding porn on the same page in another. That's when it finally clicked.

> explain

It's called a running key cipher. Let's say you have two pieces of text: a message you want to encrypt, and some document you know the recipient also has. Like, I dunno, a book, or a copy of a particular newspaper from a specific day. Something you've both agreed to use in advance. That second thing is called the key.

> okay

So what you do is, you convert each letter in both the message and the key into a number, usually based on its position in the alphabet (あ = 1, い = 2, etc.) You add each number in the message to the corresponding one in the key, then convert their sum back into a letter. And boom -- your message is encrypted in a new form. That's called the cipher text. Whoever you're sending it to can then decrypt it by reversing the process -- convert text to numbers, subtract the key from the cipher text, and convert everything back into letters to get the original message.

It's not impossible to crack this kind of cipher without knowing what the key is, but it's way more difficult. Especially if a different key is used for each message. That's why I wasn't getting anywhere with frequency analysis.

> sounds like you'd also need to have access to all the notebooks in order to decrypt everything

Right. But here's the really amazing part: what if your key is something you know no one else -- well, okay, outside of maybe a small niche of older gay men who are into your particular kinks -- is gonna want to read?

> thus the porn

My uncle weaponized the cringe factor. That's why all the stories were so... um... let's say excessive. He wasn't just being gross. It was for security.

Shin, you genius. You brilliant, crazy, utterly filthy genius.

> so what have you got

I've only completely decrypted one message so far. It was a little tricky at first since Shin threw some kanji into the mix, but I think I've got the hang of it now. Kinda speaks for itself:

WORKING THEORY: MAGICAL ENERGY SPECTRUM
LIKE THE EM SPECTRUM CAN BE BROKEN DOWN
INTO DISTINCT WAVELENGTHS OR ENERGY TYP
ES. CALLING MOST PROMINENT IN FUYUKI RE
GION "G-ENERGY" AS IT'S PRESUMABLY BEIN
G EMITTED BY THE GRAIL. MAY REPRESENT M
ANA IN MOST BASIC STATE / EQUIV OF MICR
OWAVES. OTHER TYPES DETECTED: "C-ENERGY
," POSSIBLY ASSOCIATED WITH COMMUNICATI
ON AND TELEPATHY (EQUIV OF RADIO WAVES?
); AND "I-ENERGY," ASSOCIATED WITH ILL
USIONS AND DISPLAYS OF LIGHT (EQUIV OF
VISIBLE SPECTRUM?). AMAZING. IS THIS WH
AT MAXWELL AND TESLA FELT LIKE?