Chapter 4 - Part 1

The party was already in full swing at their arrival. Music blasted so loud that Desi could feel the bass in the depth of his gut before they even parked, and the house was packed as full as a can of sardines, attendees spilling out to the front patio and yard for some relief from the cramped inside. Even with the cool night taking off the edge of the stifling summer heat, the air around the frat house was hot and heavy with the smell of intoxication: a sticky mixture of booze and narcotics that saturated the air through sweaty, hungry young bodies. It was the kind of party that made Desi wonder if he could stay sober, or if he was risking a contact high just from breathing.

He could already see Casper stiffening up in discomfort as they approached. Knowing how much of a loner the kid had been in highschool, Desi could only imagine how walking towards that party probably felt a bit like entering a shark tank. Nothing a little alcohol couldn't loosen up, though. As they neared the entrance, Desi offered a reassuring palm to Casper's shoulder, leaning closer to combat the rising volume of drunken laughter and shouting around them. "I gotta split for a few minutes to unload some... product. They have stuff in the kitchen for grabs usually. What do you drink?"

"I don't." Casper tried to give a casual laugh but it came out sounding nervous. "I mean, I haven't had the opportunity much..."

Ashley was immediately at Casper's other side, grabbing him by the arm to haul him along with her. "I'll help him find something. You know where we'll be!"

Desi managed to catch Casper throwing him a pained expression, which he responded to with a sympathetic shrug, before the two of them were disappearing into the crowd of people. He knew this was probably a lot for Casper, but it also hadn't exactly been his idea. Desi assumed that Ashley's weird behavior since Casper's arrival was likely just her trying to force forgiveness from him, and it was tough arguing Ashley out of something when she'd set her mind to it. If she wanted to try and make up for being an asshole by smothering Casper with attempted friendship, Desi, being bias, certainly wasn't going to be the one to intervene.

At least, not tonight. He remembered what Casper said, and as much as he didn't want to admit it, he knew it would probably be better if they stayed just classmates. He wanted to respect that. He would talk to Ashley in the morning, tell her to lay off a little. But for now, they could at least have some fun together for an evening, right?

Since Desi usually stuck to staying sober while working, he often took his time while making a sale. Good service was important, after all, and he was particularly good at buttering up his peers to make sure they stayed repeat customer. Usually he earned himself extra tips, especially when his buyers were already inebriated and feeling emotionally gooey and generous.

Desi found himself making exchanges with an unusual haste this time though, unloading his product twice as fast as it normally took, skipping through the small talk he'd usually take the time to dwell on in place of moving onto the next set of hands with money. He wasn't sure if it was because people were buying fast, or because he was anxious to get back and save Casper from being solo with drunk-Ashley, who was likely due to make an appearance soon enough.

After his pockets were full of a different kind of green, Desi scoured through the full house for his group, finding them relatively easy despite the packed rooms. That was one good thing about Casper's appearance: he certainly stood out against the fraternity members and their invitees.

He was jammed into the corner of a crowded couch next to Wyatt and Nic, clutching a drink awkwardly in his hands as he attempted to stay engaged in a conversation that Ashley and her friends were clearly dominating from the sound of their girlish laughs floating above the rest of the chatter. Desi managed to weave his way over to them without being noticed, welcomed finally by the group only when he'd perched himself on the arm of the couch next to Casper.