Chapter 7 - Part 2

“So, how about you start with telling us what you’ve been up to this weekend?”

Desi eyed the two cops he sat across from; they still hadn’t told him why he was being questioned and he found himself reluctant to cooperate out of principal. Of course, Desi knew he’d done literally nothing eventful enough to get him into any kind of trouble, so he leaned towards telling the truth; he didn’t like lying when he didn’t have to. Besides, he was already here.

“I spent the weekend avoiding humanity and living off Doritos and weed.” About as honest as he could get, and it wasn’t illegal to admit to consuming his products.

The cops both gave him an unimpressed look regardless. They decided to pick their battles though, letting his bluntness slide to prod for more information. “Mind telling us where exactly you were while partaking in your exciting extracurriculars?” The sarcasm in the taller cop’s question made a satisfied smirk creep onto Desi’s lips.

“I don’t mind but, I don’t really know what to tell you.” He shrugged, trying to give his best answer but having trouble taking it seriously. “Nowhere in particular. I was just driving around mostly.”

The second cop, who was taking notes, picked up where the other left off. “Did you happen to share your unhealthy snacks and illegal narcotics with anyone else that can confirm your whereabouts of ‘just driving around’?”

“I think you’re missing the point of ‘avoiding humanity’. I was trying to be alone. So no, not really. I was alone the whole weekend.” Desi was starting to get suspicious now, because that last question sounded a lot like they were trying to see if he could confirm an alibi. But, an alibi for what?

“No text messages or phone calls that could confirm any locations?” The first cop added another question while the other wrote something down, only making Desi more concerned.

Besides his trip-induced run in with Casper, the last person Desi had seen was Ashley, who surprisingly hadn’t messages him all weekend. When he turned on his phone that morning he had a few missed calls from his mother, and some messages from both Wyatt and Nic that he’d deleted without reading, but besides that there hadn’t been any communication that made him suspicious. And certainly nothing that confirmed his brief drop off the planet.

He wouldn't be able to confirm his weekend activities even if he wanted to.

“No I… I turned my phone off.” When one of his interrogators gave a particularly questionable hum in response Desi couldn’t help but return an inquiry of his own. “Am I suspect of something?”

The cops responded one after the other, rhyming off rehearsed lines.

“We’re just trying to get all the information, kid.”

“As long as you're being honest you have nothing to worry about.”

Desi sighed with the non-answer, trying to relax in his chair despite his itching discomfort. He wanted to believe them, but it was starting to feel like the more he said, the more incriminating his story became. He didn't even know what he was being suspected for doing, for fucks sake.

“Who was the last person you saw this weekend?”

“Besides the occasional gas station attendant?” Desi made sure to review his activities in his memory, just to be positive, before answering. “I was at a party on Friday night. I left with my girlfriend around midnight. She would have been the last person, before today.”

“Ashley Isaac?”

Desi blinked, his surprise causing a lag in his reply. “Uh… yeah. How do you know that?”