Chapter Seven : Beyond the Fence

"I JUST WANT Gray to have the "full Jurassic World experience," you know," Zach stated mockingly, quoting you from the day before.

"But -- " You rubbed your temple, "Fine. Fine. Fine. BUT only for a moment. Then we come back, alright?"

"Yes, ma'am," Zach attempted to salute with a grin but you were in the way, so it ended with an awkward thumbs-up.

You released the joystick and let the male take control again. He maneuvered the sphere past the gap and through the dense jungle foliage. A bad feeling settled in your gut and, the further in you went, the more anxious you became.

"Can we go back now?" You practically begged, your spine tingling with the sense of being watched.

"We just left!" Zach groaned, "What are you, a wimp?"

"No!" You defended yourself with crossed arms. "I just.. have a bad feeling about this."

"So do I," Gray added nervously, fiddling with his fingers and fanny pack.

"Ugh, just one more minute?"

"O-okay..."

Zach drove around a large log and the three of you came face-to-face with a group of Ankylosaurus.

"There, see? Close-up with four.. dinosaur-uses..?" Zach gestured toward them, around you.

"Ankylosaurus," you corrected, staring at the creatures intently.

"We shouldn't be here," Gray murmured, "And there's five dinosaurs."

"Aren't you supposed to be a genius or sonethin'? Look, one, two, three, and four." Zach rolled his eyes, pointing at each individual Ankylosaur.

"... five..." Gray's fearful statement caught yoyr attention and you followed his pointed finger to the glass in front of you.

A large, sharp-tooth-filled mouth was reflected in the glass. Slowly, the three of you turned around, fear settling in your stomach.

The creature rose from a crouch, the sun blocking your view of it, at least, until it opened its giant jaws and roared.

All at once, you and the boys screamed. The creature lunged forward, kicking the Gyrosphere and sending the three of you spinning.

Gray grabbed onto yours and Zach's arms, crying, while Zach slipped his other arm around your waist and you linked you fingers with his.

You sealed your eyes shut, hoping -- praying to whoever that this wasn't the end. You had never gotten a chance to tell Foxtrot goodbye! And what about Owen, and your parents?

You screamed again and, finally, the Gyrosphere came to a stop. You felt nauseous after that.

Gray was still crying as the white carnivore roared at an Ankylosaurus, challenging it. Zach moved the joystick just as the creature went in for an attack.

You made it a little ways before the clubbed tail of the Ankylosaur accidently rammed into the Gyrosphere, cracking the glass and sending you flying backwards.

You hit a rock and the Gyrosphere rolled upside-down, you held on tight to Zach's hand while his other one tried moving the joystick, but the Gyrosphere refused to move.

A tear slipped from your eye as you watched the white beast locked in combat with the poor Ankylosaur. It tried ripping into its back, but the bone armor stopped it.

Then the white dinosaur, which you couldn't determine what species, raked its claws across one of the Ankylosaur's back legs, causing it to fall. The battle was over when you saw the carnivore roll the Ankylosaurus onto its back, like a turtle.

You were just able to cover Gray's eyes when the beast chomped into the Ankylosaur's neck, killing it. Blood spilled onto the ground as you closed your eyes too, tears falling.

"We're safe in here, right?" Gray whispered.

"Yeah," Zach replied.

Suddenly, your heard a phone going off and the three of you looked up to see Zach's phone. Claire was calling.

Zach and Gray both tried to reach it, and you joined in. Your fingers barely grazed the screen when Gray touched Zach's arm.

"(Y/n), Zach.. look..."

You both looked up to see the large, red eye of the albino beast. It was watching you with slitted pupils, ones that reminded you of Foxtrot.

The creature blinked before standing up. It grabbed the sphere and turned it so that you were facing it then it raised one of its claws and pierced the glass. You felt Gray's hand slip into yours when the carnivore opened its jaws and clamped them shut on the Gyrosphere. It took a moment for it to get a firm hold before its teeth broke through the glass.

The three of you screamed as it raised you off the ground and slammed you back down. It took two blows to break half of the sphere. You sealed your eyes closed again, squeezing Gray's hand in a small effort of reassurance.

Then you felt fingers scrabbling around your waist and then the seatbelt was unbuckled. Zach's arm was around your waist when the three of you fell from your seats and onto the ground. Shards of glass cut into your exposed skin.

The beast slammed the Gyrosphere back down, you and the boys huddling together with your heads down.

Then it raised the remains of the ride and Zach pushed you and Gray, yelling to run.

So you ran.

Behind you, you heard the beast free its teeth and roar. Its loud footsteps urges you to move faster.

You kept running, entering a small clearing. A river cut through it and ended in a waterfall.

You halted at the top of the waterfall, looking back to see Zach and Gray join you. The albino carnivore was still charging towards you.

"We're pinned!" You shouted.

"No, we're not!" Zach replied, "We have to jump!"

"But I can't!" Gray exclaimed, a tear falling from his eye.

"Yes, you can, Gray," Zach grabbed his brother's hand and then offered for yours. You laced your fingers with his.

"On the count of three," Zach muttered, "One.."

You could hear the growling of the thing behind you.

"Two..."

And then you jumped. You had just enough time to look up and see the jaws of the albino carnivore close above your heads as you fell.

Somehow, you lost Gray's and Zach's hands when you hit the water. It hurt and you knew that your back was bruised.

Sinking down a bit, you shook your head and began swimming toward the surface, only to have something grab your foot.

Looking down, you saw Zach and Gray. Zach was shaking his head and pointing upwards.

You followed his gaze to find the outline of the beast staring down at the water. So you waited with them until you needed air badly.

You rose to the surface and, to your relief, found that the carnivore was leaving, its receding roar echoing around you, making you shiver.

Then you crawled out of the water and into the mud on the shore. You stretched out in the cold mud, exhausted.

The brothers came up on either side of you, mimicking your actions.

Something passed silently between the three of you because, after a moment, you all began laughing hysterically.

"You're crazy," you grinned at Zach.

"Correction; we're all crazy!" Zach returned your grin.

"Yes, yes, we are." Gray confirmed with a giggle, "But we should really try getting back. Aunt Claire is gonna be worried."

You nodded, standing up, "You're right."