Chapter Fifteen : The Enemy of My Enemy

ZACH'S HEART PLUMMETED.

The wide jaws of the Indominus was about to lock closed around his -- I mean, (Y/n). She was going to die, and he couldn't save her. He couldn't even move. Owen jolted to his feet and tried to go after her, but he punched the wall instead with the knowledge that it'd be fruitless suicide.

Tears rolled down Zach's face, mixing with the sweat that covered his shirt. The world seemed to slow as his mind raced. Gray clung to his arm, sobbing uncontrollably. His gaze was trained on (Y/n) as her death inched closer.

Even the rain seemed to hold in place, as though the world was holding its breath. And then a glimmer of red caught Zach's eye.

He turned and found Aunt Claire as she hurried under the skeleton of a finned dinosaur, one that he remembered Gray describing. Spino.. Spinosaur... us? Yeah, Spinosaurus. And, only yards on her tail, was the infamous Tyrannosaurus Rex, not only a T-rex, but the T-rex. The one from the original park. The biggest, bloodiest one they had.

"Rexy," Zach faintly heard Gray murmur the name the fans had given her.

Her massive head crashed into the skeleton, sending bones flying in all different directions. Time seemed to return as the Indominus jerked its head up.

The relief made him nauseous.

(Y/n) Grady was alive! Saved in the nick of time by the prehistoric carnivore and Claire.

The Indominus faced the other rex, the teenaged girl forgotten at its feet. She was gripping her Velociraptor's head so tight that he worried she might pop it off. Her face was covered in tears and a few gashes had appeared on her forehead; undoubtedly from the teeth of the I-rex.

Rexy and the Indominus shared ear-splitting roars before the older dinosaur charged the modified one, chomping down on a side of its neck. As the battle commenced, Zach turnedto retrieve (Y/n), only to find Owen beat him to it.

Owen zipped between the stumbling legs of the predators, sliding across the pavement to his sister and her Raptor.

"(Y/n), we have to move!" Owen hissed at her, only to soften as he took in her wet face.

"I'm not leaving him! He's risked his life for me.." She sniffled, running a trembling hand down Foxtrot's neck. The creature snorted, his amber eyes locked on her face.

Owen, knowing how it felt when Blue had been struck, lifted her to her feet. "(Y/n)," he muttered when she began to protest, "I'm getting you out of the way. Then I'll come back for him, promise."

Silently, (Y/n) nodded, tucking a strand of loose hair behind her ear. She let Owen pick her up and carry her back to the toy shop. He carefully set her down with the boys before cautiously returning to Foxtrot.

The Raptor bared his teeth and snarled, but Owen shushed him. "I'm gonna help you because you helped my little sister." Then he grabbed the animal, noticing how he conformed to being moved. He helped him to his feet and half-dragged half-pushed the Velociraptor to the shop.

Foxtrot pushed off of Owen and stumbled to (Y/n), collapsing beside her, his large head resting in her lap. She was leaning against Zach, his arm protectively over her shoulder. Gray was holding her hand.

The loud calls of the two combatting animals drew their attention to outside. Rexy was beginning to lose since the Indominus wasn't just bigger, but smarter and virtually undefeatable.

Then Owen caught Claire waving for them to run. He pushed the boys out before going to pick up his sister. The humans were out of the store. (Y/n) cried for Foxtrot, and he came. He managed to hop up onto the large window sill and exit just before Rexy's head came crashing down on the building.

Foxtrot seemed to be regaining his energy as he clumsily trotted to their side. They continued to move, heading for Claire and where she was positioned.

(Y/n) returned her attention to the battle. The Indominus had Rexy beat. The Tyrannosaur lay on her side, too exhausted and in pain to stand. The I-rex towered over her, taking its precious time in going for her neck to end her, like a game.

But the loud shrill of a Raptor cut it off. Everyone turned back toward the Center to witness Blue making her comeback. She charged the Indominus, using Rexy's head to leap up to its neck and attack.

Although it was vain, Blue's attack drew the Indominus' attention away from Rexy as it tried to pry off the smaller carnivore. Meanwhile, the T-rex forced herself to her feet and clamped her jaws around the I-rex's neck.

Next to join the fray was none other than Foxtrot, his energy restored and his pain numbed with adrenaline. Despite (Y/n)'s protests, the male climbed Rexy's leg and then transferred to the Indominus.

"Come on," Owen, still holding his sister, nudged Claire's shoulder and they began hurrying through buildings to get to a safer place. In one building, Blue crashed through the glass before rejoining the battle. In another, the I-rex's tail toppled the wall, Foxtrot clinging to its skin.

The group finally made it to a safer viewpoint and turned to witness the final battle coming to an end. Rexy shoved the Indominus toward the Mosasaur tank, its tail and leg breaking the rail. She and the Velociraptors had the Indominus pinned.

In unison, the four carnivores parted their jaws and let loose loud, defiant roars. Then the nose of the Mosasaur rose from the depths of its lagoon and it pushed its head onto the pavement, sinking its teeth into the I-rex's neck.

The Indominus made a pitiful sound, the other predators shocked by the Mosasaur's appearance as it dragged the modified monster into the darkness of its waters.

As silence fell, Rexy turned to acknowledge the two Velociraptors. She called to them, as though maybe thanking them, and both of them took a pace or two back.

Blue chirped,m and Foxtrot mimicked. With a motion similar to a nod, Rexy turned and lumbered away, intent on reclaiming her kingdom.

When the Tyrannosaur was gone, the Raptors turned to each other. They chirped and purred and cooed, as though accepting each other into some sort of mutual friendship.

They turned to their respective Alphas for guidance.