Chapter Twelve : Switching Alphas

OWEN WAS NAVIGATING through the crowds in the vehicle. You drove past them then Claire got a phone call. Whoever it was, you assumed it was Larry, was speaking softly, fearfully.

A sharp intake of breath from Claire meant that it wasn't good. Then she looked over at Owen.

"Hoskins wants to use the Velociraptors," she whispered.

"That bitch!" Owen growled through gritted teeth, peeling off onto a familiar dirt path Hoskins had used to take you to the Raptor Paddock.

"You shouldn't say bitch," Gray commented innocently, fiddling with his fingers in his lap.

You restrained from laughing, which wasn't completely hard given the situation.

What about Foxtrot? Was Hoskins going to introduce him to Owen's Raptors? Was Owen about to find out why she never called him in the morning?

Worry and anxiety chewed your stomach painfully, making you want to wince. Something on your face must have shown your panic and concern because a warm hand wrapped around yours.

You looked over to see Zach with a soft expression. He squeezed your hand in reassurance, leaning his cheek against the top of your head.

Owen glanced at the two of you through the rearview mirror and wanted to bash the boy's head, but he saw how the simple presence of Zach comforted you in a way he couldn't himself. He allowed it. But just this once!

The sun was sinking and it was dark by the time you've reached the hidden paddock. Soldiers surrounded the structure, and both Barry and Hoskins came out to greet Owen and Claire as they climbed out of the vehicle.

Hoskins tried to greet them, but Owen struck his jaw in anger. The fat man stumbled a second before rubbing his face and glaring at him.

You couldn't hear what they said, but Owen was getting even more pissed with every word that escaped Hoskins' big mouth.

As Owen went toward the cage were the Velociraptors were held, you and the boys got out of the vehicle to follow him.

For a moment, as you leaned against the bars, silence was all that passed between the four of you. The Gray asked for their names.

"This one is Charlie," Owen tapped a striped, green Velociraptor's nose then turned to point at the next one, which was a brown color with a scar on her nose. "That's Echo, and Delta," the next was a greenish brown one with a hint of blue around her eyes. Then he patted the last one affectionately, "And this, this is Blue. She's the Beta."

"Who's the Alpha?" Zach questioned in curiosity.

"You're looking at him, kid," Owen shoved a thumb at himself. You stifled a laugh, but then saw Hoskins waving you over.

Slowly, you walked away from the three without them taking much notice. You slipped over to Hoskins, a frown on your face.

"We need Foxtrot, Miss Grady," he murmured to you. You hated the idea of putting him in danger, but, looking over your shoulder, you realized that your friends and family were in danger too. At least Foxtrot could defend himself.

"Alright," you turned back to Hoskins, "Have someone leave the doors open. I want him to come out on his own."

It took a minute for a timid soldier to unlock and open several doors for your Raptor. Then soldiers created a perimeter outside so he couldn't disappear into the jungle.

You stood inside the oval, Owen and the others approaching you. In your hand was a clicker.

"What's happening?" Owen asked Hoskins from outside the perimeter.

"Control."

You focused your attention on the cracked door, waiting for the large predator. Soon, you heard the crashing of doors being slammed into walls. Something broken and then the door swung open slowly. Inside was utter darkness.

A moment of silence.

A loud shriek erupted as an orange creature streaked toward the nearest soldier, leaping onto him and raising his head to clamp down on his neck.

"Don't shoot!" Hoskins bellowed as soldiers raised their guns.

"Foxtrot!" Your tone held warning, but also relief. You had missed this damned beast.

As soon as you spoke, his head snapped in your direction, his pupils slim slits. He stepped off of the terrified man and began stalking toward you.

Owen cried out in alarm, pushing through the soldiers and protectively standing in front of you.

"Owen! Move!" You yelled as Foxtrot paused, then hissed and continued to advance.

"No! This is a wild animal!" Your brother responded stubbornly, refusing to budge.

Frustrated, you body-slammed Owen to the side, just as Foxtrot was about to shred him. The Velociraptor watched your brother stumble into a soldier, teeth bared.

"Foxtrot!" You raised your chin, glaring at him in dominance. He barked and then returned his attention to you.

Owen attempted to shield you again, but Hoskins had ordered some men to hold him back. Tears streamed down his face as he thought that you were in danger.

Foxtrot closed the distance between you two, dropping into a crouch, claws outstretched. He was showing his defiance, just as Hoskins had warned. You held still, glaring down at him.

"Foxtrot."

He hissed at his name, sinking further.

"Foxtrot."

He fell silent, as if deciding what to do. He must have heard the authority in your voice or something, because he straightened up and leaned his head down to yours. You pressed your forehead to his with a smile.

Owen had stopped struggling and now gaped at you and the Velociraptor, shocked at the bond clearly between you two.

"Alright, let's get this show on the road." Hoskins commanded. The soldiers returned to preparing for the hunt for the white beast.

"What the hell, Y/n!" Owen charged at you, fury in his eyes. He froze when Foxtrot hissed at him, swinging his tail threateningly.

You patted the striped Velociraptor's neck soothingly, allowing Owen to approached much calmer.

"Since when did you interact with this thing! I told you to stay away from them," Owen clenched his jaw, trying to keep his tone level.

"You really thought me, a Grady, would listen? Look at yourself, Owen."

"But -- "

"There are no 'but's. We both have Raptor in our blood," you watched your brother's shoulders slump in defeat.

"Fine. But you're not going on the recon."

"Then who will lead Foxy?" You glanced over at the said beast, who stood taller than your brother.

"I will," Owen declared. You snorted.

"Fine," was all you said as you turned to Foxtrot, showing him your clicker. He watched it attentively as you handed it to Owen slowly. As soon as it dropped into your brother's hands, Foxtrot flipped.

He growled and barked and shrieked, angered that you had given over your leadership to Owen.

You grabbed Foxtrot's head and hugged it, calming him down. You stroked his scaled neck.

"Don't worry, boy. We'll see each other again," you reassured him before stepping back to put the camera onto his head.

You gave him a weak smile as he towered over you, his gaze seemingly saddened. Owen placed a hand on your shoulder in an attempt to comfort you.

"Take good care of him, Foxy," then you turned to your brother, "And you take good care of Foxy."