Chapter Fourteen : Death

FOXTROT SLAMMED INTO the door, breaking the hinges. It fell inwards as he stepped into the Visitor's Center, you still sitting on his back. Your ankle was still in a load of pain, both dried and wet blood staining your shoe and his flank.

The scent of blood had been messing with Foxtrot earlier, but he had regained control of his hunger and refocused on your mission.

Now you had reached Main Street and entered through the back door of the Visitor's Center. You could hear Blue and the Indominus out in front of the building.

"Come on, Foxtrot, we have to hurry!" You urged him on. The orange predator picked up his pace as he trotted through rooms and made it into the main room, uncertain.

The hologram of a Dilophosaurus was playing and Foxtrot screeched, hissing as its frill spanned from its neck. Your Velociraptor went to pounce on it but you patted his neck and pointed his head toward the cracked front doors.

"It's not real; just a hologram," you assured him as he cautiously stalked around the Dilophosaurus, which didn't react. Then Foxtrot snapped his attention to the door and sprinted out.

He flung open one of the large doors and charged down part of the steps before leaping.

Owen and the group were standing in between Echo and Delta, Blue was motionless next to a window. The two remaining Raptors were awaiting Owen's command to attack the Indominus.

They were back!

Foxtrot's powerful jump propelled both himself and you over their heads to land in front of them just as Owen whistled, sending the girls into battle.

Foxtrot shrieked at the Indominus, but waited while Owen, shocked and relieved, pulled you from his back. Then the Velociraptor looked at you, waiting for the signal.

You let a small smile spread across your face, whistling with a nod. Then Foxtrot spun around and charged at the white creature.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Owen breathed, holding you in his arms.

"Me too," Claire was about to cry, "I thought you were dead..!"

Gray grabbed your hand and squeezed it, obviously agreeing with his aunt's exclamation, but too emotional to say it himself.

Zach was the last to say something, and, when he did, you couldn't help but laugh.

"You're insane! And it's kinda hot."

You noticed Owen's deadly glare and bit back a second laugh before your group was forced to come back to reality. Owen reluctantly handed you to Zach so that he could help the Velociraptors.

Claire led you and the boys to a gift shop, helping you to settle against the wall. She held Gray's hand, watching the battle outside.

Gray started counting while you prayed that Foxtrot would make it out okay. Then you saw a fire and watched Echo get incinerated. You grimaced, biting your lip. Zach wrapped you into a comforting hug.

"We need more teeth."

"More what?" Claire questioned Gray as he stared at her, dead serious.

"More teeth," he repeated, "We need more teeth."

A look of realization spread across the redhead's face before she patted your shoulders.

"I'll be right back, just stay here!" And then she slid over the counter and outside.

"Where's she going?" You mumbled, sliding the baseball cap across your lap; you had attached it to your pants so that you wouldn't lose it, Zach's jacket was still tied firmly to your waist, and your binoculars pressed against your chest. Your phone had managed to stay in your pocket.

"I don't know," Zach answered with furrowed brows, pulling you closer. Gray held one of your hands while the other was against his older brother's chest.

Then you heard the death shriek of a Velociraptor and the roar of the Indominus. Another had died. Who was left? Your unspoken question was answered when you saw an orange beast flung into a nearby wall.

"Foxtrot!" You screamed, scrambling to your feet, only to fall over again, pain lacing up your leg. Tears burned your eyes and marred your vision as you crawled out of the store and to his side. Zach and Gray called after you, but Owen slid into the building and the Indominus followed him to their hiding spot.

But nothing mattered at this moment. It was only Foxtrot. Not the pain in your ankle, not the roar of the approaching Indominus, not the yells of Owen or the Mitchells. Only your little Fox.

You reached him and placed his head in your lap, tears dripping onto his scaly snout. His breathing was ragged and you saw Delta's corpse across the street.

He wasn't dead. At least, not yet.

One of his big, yellow eyes were staring up at you, the usually slitted pupil wide and soft.

He made the same purring sound as earlier, moving his head a little bit in your lap, clicking and giving weak barks. You had become deaf to the sound of the Indominus' footsteps as it stopped to stand over you.

You leaned over the striped Raptor, sobbing uncontrollably. All those times when he'd jump onto your back, the times when he'd bite your fingers, the times when you'd play hide-and-seek, all of the memories you shared with him came rushing back in that one moment. Foxtrot had always been on your side, trying to attack Hoskins when he argued with you or defending you from Echo. Was this how it was going to end? Just like this? A monster's meal?

It couldn't end like this, right? The good guys always win..

.. don't they?

I guess not.

Then you watched his gaze slide passed you and his pupil narrowed to a slit again as he glared at something above your head. He weakly bared his teeth in a snarl.

You looked up to see the Indominus, its red gaze locked on you and your Velociraptor. It had been watching you both curiously, seemingly uncertain of what was happening between the two of you. Now it reeled back, taking a step back before roaring.

From the gift shop, Owen, Zach, and Gray were screaming and crying for you to move, for you to run. But you weren't going anywhere. Not without Foxtrot.

The Indominus pulled back its massive, white head and opened its jaws, lunging down to clamp shut around you and Foxtrot.