Chapter 5- The Suitor Ball

"Would Mr. Grumpy Pants like to dance?" a girl teased and giggled. She was dressed in a slimming red ballgown that revealed way too much and it mismatched her bright, almost scary, green eyes. She had her light brown hair up in a messy bun and bright red lipstick somewhat smeared on her face. She looked like a drunk Christmas decoration.

If Derrick was nice, he would have politely declined.

But no, he wasn't.

                "Get away from me. I wouldn't dream of dancing with a woman-with anyone -who can't keep their hands to themselves and looks like an elf threw up on them. I'm terribly sorry."

She looked down-casted but sighed, "It's okay, I-"

                "Oh, I apologize, you've misunderstood me. Let me rephrase. I meant, I'm terribly sorry. It must feel awful to be given such an ugly appearance. I'm glad I'm not you," Derrick corrected, swatting away the girl's hand from his chest, where she had previously put it.

The girl's mouth hung open in disbelief, before scoffing and walking away hatefully. 

Derrick scowled as he heard the click-clack of heels get fainter.

Well, she didn't deny it.

                "Ha! What did you tell her?" a boy walked up to Derrick, making said prince internally groan. The boy was referencing the girl in the red dress.

                "The truth," was all Derrick said, "Nathan, why are you here? You're a man, not a woman."

                "What can I say, cuz? I missed you," Nathan replied, smirking playfully.

Nathan was the cousin of Derrick. His natural charm aggravated Derrick so much, but only because Derrick didn't have it. The black-haired, deep-blue-eyed, dimpled twenty-two year old had to be the youngest, and most handsome boy in all of the lands.

The worst thing was, Derrick had yet to find anything wrong with him, and therefore couldn't find a way to push him away.

And he found that extremely annoying.

But Derrick was more aggravated at the fact that his cousin from the west looked somewhat familiar to Jake, his soulmate.

They both had blue eyes, but Jake had more of an icy blue and Nathan had more of a deep ocean blue. Jake's eyes were filled with determination and concern. Nathan's only showed cockiness and playfulness. Nathan was pale whereas Jake was a dark tan. Both had the same height, but Nathan was a bit more lanky. Jake let his wavy hair fly free, but Nathan at least tried to tame his.

                "Yeah right. I bet you only came to see the girls," Derrick huffed, "After all, all of these guests are just women who are desperate for a man so bad that they turned to me as their last hope. Which is why I asked you why you came."

                "Can't a guy visit his cousin?" Nathan asked, still smirking and taking a swig of his drink.

                "Not without a reason," Derrick countered, "With you, there is always a motive. Except for teasing, which you do for fun."

                "You got that right. But you're also wrong. Maybe I didn't come for the girls," he said then leaned in really close and whispered into Derrick's ear, "Maybe I came for you."

Nathan leaned out from Derrick and backed away. "After all, this is a suitor ball," he said smiling, "And everyone here came to win your hand in marriage."