Chapter 24- Apple Blossoms

(MERRY CHRISTMAS MY LOVES!!!!!! Here's you an early Christmas present. Also, I imagine Jake singing Derrick this song. )

The thud of horse hooves echoed through the seemingly empty woods; empty except from the presence of the horse and it's two riders. The mocha horse was powerful, but not fast enough for Derrick, one of the riders bouncing with the gallop of his steed.

Derrick felt so alive riding on Ollie. The old horse's strong muscles rippled beneath Derrick's hands as he held tightly to Ollie's beautiful black mane, riding bareback as he always did. He couldn't help but smile a true grin, for he has always loved horses, even after his mother's death. Oliver was the only thing he had left from his happy childhood.

The handsome prince was also happily aware of his soulmate, who was hugging his waist fearfully trying not to fall off. Jake was bigger and stronger, so Derrick found it amusing that the werewolf couldn't handle a horse. And he found it a tad adorable. Then again, Jake probably didn't have much experiences with the animal, seeing as how he was part wolf.

Ollie didn't seem a fan at first either, but the horse eventually calmed down and let the reluctant werewolf onto his back. Derrick almost chuckled at the werewolf clinging to his back and digging his nose into his neck for comfort. Jake's eyes were still shut tightly.

Derrick remembered when he was in the same position, when he first rode bareback. Except, instead, the prince was clinging to his mother. He allowed himself to remember the good times with his mother: the sunny days when they imaged cloud shapes, the starry nights when they counted the stars, and the winter, when they played in the snow. Together, they never left nature; both were very in tune with it.

"See that star, my sweet prince?" His mother would say.

"That star is your star, love. Always shine just as bright."

Derrick had a sudden pinch of regret. Why was he taking Jake there? He hadn't gone there since her death! But it was already too late to turn back. Plus, he had to open up somehow. What better place than his favorite place to be?

Derrick watched the trees speed by and felt the sweet, bitter cold wind hit his cheeks. His coat-he had made sure it wasn't a wolf fur coat- tickled his almost numb chin. However, warmth blossomed, as always, where Jake had placed his face. the werewolf's comforting breath fanned over his neck over and over and over again. It was calming Derrick's nerves. 

Why was he nervous? 

He was going to finally say something.

Something Jake has been waiting to hear.

And he wasn't going to chicken out because of nerves. For Jake's sake.

Derrick winded through a path he knew by heart, guiding Ollie to their destination. As they arrived, Derrick's nerves grew, but so did his excitement. He hasn't been here since he was twelve, but, as he stopped Oliver in his tracks, the prince realized it had stayed exactly the same.

"We're here," Derrick breathed. His breath fanned out into the air like smoke as he spoke. 

Jake finally lifted his head and opened his eyes, blinking a little to register the blinding white snow. His arms were still wrapped around Derrick, but he had loosed them in relief.

He looked around, but he saw little difference from the regular woods. Snow was still everywhere, there were still trees. However, the trees were a bit odd-different from normal trees somehow. They appeared to be an equal distance from each other all the way around. As if they were placed there, equally apart from each other, for a purpose. The trees were bare of leaves, but were eerily beautiful.