Nine~Old Friends

Merlin sighed in relief as Arthur was thrown back in his cell, relatively unharmed. When Thane's men had pulled the prince out of his cell, Merlin couldn't help but worry. He was still shackled to the wall, unable to do anything to help his friends.

      "Are you alright?" Merlin asked as the men left. Arthur groaned, rubbing his arm as he stood up.

       "Just perfect, Merlin."  Arthur's voice practically dripped with sarcasm. "I only just fought a sorcerer and nearly died."

        "Is that all, then?" Merlin replied with a grin. The prince rolled his eyes, sinking down to the ground to rest.

       "You know, mate," Gwaine began, his tone curious. "Why hasn't Thane let us watch any of each other's fights, except for Merlin's?" Merlin clenched his jaw. He knew exactly why. Thane wanted Merlin to reveal his magic to the knights.

       "Who knows what that man thinks." Leon stated, the others nodding in agreement. They sat in silence for another good hour, only the sound of the people in the arena keeping them from complete quiet.

       Suddenly, the dungeon door slammed open, causing the knights to jump on surprise. Merlin groaned, realizing this meant one of them would probably have to fight again. Not very many prisoners were kept in this part of the dungeon, nearly guaranteeing that one of the knights of Camelot would be chosen when the guards burst in.

       They all watched as the guards walked over to the cells, keys in hand. Fear clawed its way through Merlin as they walked to his cell, opening the door with a loud squeak. The men chuckled at the expression on the warlock's face as they began to unlock his shackles. The knights began to protest, but to no avail.

       "Don't worry." One of the guards told the knights. "More are on their way to bring you up so you can watch." Gwaine let out an angry grunt as Merlin was dragged away.

➿➿➿➿➿

        Merlin was shoved roughly back into the weapons room. He stumbled, glancing around the room, looking for a weapon to use.

       "I don't think so." With another push, Merlin was sent into the room that led to the arena,

       "Don't I get a weapon?" He yelled as the doors began to close.

      "Thane's orders! He said you'll know what to do without one!" The guard replied, laughing. "I suppose he means you'll know to die." With his words, the doors slammed shut in Merlin's face, while the other ones began to open like they had before. Merlin pounded on the closed doors angrily, practically shouting spells to try and open the door. He sighed as the doors to the arena finished opening, the roaring of the crowd echoing.

       Resigned to his fate, Merlin walked out into the arena, not even bothering to glance into Thane's box. The knights and Arthur were there. He was sure of it. Merlin stared straight ahead as the doors that would reveal his opponent opened. What Merlin expected, was to see some sort of beast or giant warrior.

        What he didn't expect, was to see a young man walk out, sword in one hand, shield in the other. He was also wearing a very familiar ring. Merlin gaped, and so did his would- be opponent.

       "Merlin?"

       "Gilli?"

➿➿➿➿➿

       The voices of the two fighters in the arena seemed to echo, the crowd completely silenced. The knights of Camelot stared from their spot on Thane's "box", shocked that Merlin somehow knew this man. Arthur squinted at the man's face, finding it somehow familiar. His eyes widened in recognition as he realized who it was.