Sixteen~Homeward

The knights, Freya, and the now alive Merlin tromped through the woods towards Camelot. The knights had had no idea how to get back to Camelot from where they were, but luckily for them, Merlin often visited the Lake of Avalon, so he knew exactly where to go.

       "I still can't believe you're a sorcerer." Arthur said to Merlin.

       "Warlock." Merlin corrected. "And to be fair, I've had to hide my magic for such a long time that it's a habit."

     Arthur nodded thoughtfully for a moment, then suddenly his expression changed. "So you mean, that when Guinevere was accused of sorcery... oh my-" Merlin chuckled, remembering the time he burst through the doors of the throne room, announcing his secret for all to hear. "You were telling the truth." Arthur's tone of voice was incredulous. "Exactly how many other times have you done something like that?"

        A smile crept across Merlin's face. "Remember Dragoon the Great?"

        Arthur stopped walking completely now, turning to stare at the warlock. "Are you kidding me?" Merlin shook his head in response. The knights laughed at their prince. Merlin had been recounting the times of how he'd saved their lives hidden in the shadows, with some of Lancelot's help.

       "It seems like the princess owes his life to you, Merlin." Gwaine said, clapping him on the shoulder.

       "Indeed." Leon spoke up. "It seems like Merlin has done more for Camelot than most knights have." They continued down the trail, Freya and Merlin hand in hand. After a few more moments, stone walls could be seen in the distance.

       "We're almost there! Come on!" Elyan cheered. The began running, overjoyed at the prospect of finally being home. The knights began to run ahead, but suddenly, Merlin stopped.

       "Merlin?" Lancelot called. The knights halted, facing the warlock.

       "What about my magic? Uther would never allow me to live if he knew." Merlin said quietly. Arthur walked over, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

       "What my father doesn't know won't hurt him." At Arthur's words, Merlin's happy expression returned.

       "Well then," he said. "I'll race you back home, clot pole!" Merlin took off running, only pausing to grab Freya's hand again, then pulled her along with him. With Arthur and the knights on his heels, Merlin sprinted homeward.

➿➿➿➿➿

       Guinevere was in the kitchen when she heard a commotion coming from outside. Her breath hitched as the words "prince" and "returned" reached her ears. Gwen began to run, holding up her dress to keep her from tripping. As she came to the courtyard, she nearly collapsed with joy.

       There was Arthur, running towards her, a smile on his face. Next to him was Merlin, and a girl Gwen had never met. Gwen's face broke into an uncontrollable grin when she saw every single one of the knights trailing behind Arthur. Quickly, she made her way down the steps, and met the prince halfway.

       Arthur wrapped his arms around Guinevere, spinning her. He set her down, breathless, before pulling her into a kiss.

       "I was afraid I would never see you again." She whispered, her hands gently cupping his face. He smiled, placing a kiss on her forehead.

        "I will always come back to you." He told her. Gwen smiled up at him, before moving to hug Elyan.

        "Merlin?" A new voice could be heard from the courtyard steps.

       "Gaius!" Merlin shouted, running towards the physician. He pulled the older man into a hug.

        "Merlin, it's so good to see you, my boy." Gaius said, pulling back to examine the warlock. "What happened to your shirt?" Merlin laughed, shaking his head.

        "We have a lot to talk about." Merlin said. He gestured towards Freya, who had come up beside him. "Gaius, this is Freya." A confused look came over the man's face for a moment.

        "It's nice to finally meet you, Freya." Gaius told her after a moment.

       Freya nodded. "Likewise."

       "Freya is going to need a place to stay..." Merlin began.

        "Well of course she can stay with us! I could use some extra help seeing how you never actually do your chores." Freya giggled at the physician's statement. Merlin opened his mouth to retort, but was cut off by an unfamiliar man exiting the castle.

       "Arthur?" The prince looked at the man in confusion, before his expression morphed into one of recognition.

      "Uncle?" The man smiled.

       "It's good to see your safe and sound, Arthur." Arthur put his arm around Gwen's shoulder, a broad smile on his face.

        "Indeed it is."

Okay, guys, I know I could just end it here, but I need some more fluff and happiness. There will be two more chapters.
A big "celebration " type thing. And an epilogue. Hang in there!
-InkFanatic