Chapter 4: The Battle

Elliot's POV:

I grabbed my phone and walked out of Emily's room. I dialed Alex's number and called her.

"Alex Cabbot." She said into the phone.

"Hey Alex, it's Elliot." I said.

"Oh hey Elliot, what do you need?" She asked.

"I wanted to know if you could talk to someone, about a custody case." I said.

"Yeah, who's case?" She asked.

"Mine. Kathy never told me she was pregnant. She left without telling me, or she left then found out and didn't bother to tell me. I just met my daughter." I said into the phone.

"I can get social services to interview your daughter about where she wants to stay, and check out both your place and Kathy's place to see which place she thinks is best for her. How old is she?" She asked.

"She's 15." I answered.

"I will call someone up right now." She said.

"Thanks so much Alex." I said smiling.

"No problem El." She said.

"Thanks Alex." I said. I ended the call and put my phone back in my pocket. I walked back into Emily's room after.

"Well what did she say?" She asked nervous yet hopeful.

"She will get someone from social services down here and interview you about Kathy, what it was like there and where you want to go, then they will check out both homes and tell a judge where they think you should go and the judge will make the final choice." I said.

"Ok, so when will this social worker be here?" She asked.

"I don't know, but you shouldn't worry, I really think that the social worker and the judge will let you live with me and give me full custody." I said grabbing Emily's hand. I sat in the chair next to her bed.

"Really?" She asked smiling.

"Yes. I have a great home, and who can protect you better than a cop?" I said.

She giggled and agreed then. We talked for a little bit. She told me about herself, likes and dislikes, and I told her a little about me. The doctors also told us what they found, and that they wanted to keep her overnight for observation. I heard someone walking in the room.

"Social services." A lady with blonde hair said as she walked farther into the room.

"Here to interview a 15 year old girl. She continued fully in the room now.

"She's right here." I said motioning to Emily.

"I'm going to have to ask you to step out sir, while I conduct the interview." She said. I nodded and stepped out of the room.

Emily's POV:

"Hi, my name is Heather, I'm just going to ask you a few questions about your mom's home, where you want to live and why." She said while sticking out her hand for me to shake. 

"Ok, I'm Emily." I said shaking her hand.

"What was it like at your mom's home?" She asked.

"Hectic, she was always stressed out. We would get into fights. Her husband, who I thought was my dad, he hit me a couple times." I said.

"He hit you? Did he touch you inappropriately?" She asked.

I didn't want to answer because I was scared.

"It's ok, I just want you to be honest so you can go to a good safe home." She said I nodded and swallowed the lump in my throat. 

"Yes he did. He raped me once." I said starting to cry. She waited a couple minutes and proceeded with the interview.

"Who do you want to live with?" She asked.

"My real dad, Elliot of course." I said smiling.

"Why do you want to live with him?" She asked.

"Because I want to live with my real dad. My mom lied to me about who my father was and I am sick of living in fear of being raped again." I said.

"Ok, thank you. Someone will be in contact with you soon." She said smiling at me and left.

"Dad?" I asked as soon as she left.

"Yes, sweetie?" He replied.

"Do you think I'll get to live with you?" I asked.

"I think so." He said tears forming in his eyes. 

"Why are you crying?" I asked grabbing his hand.

"I've always worked rape cases and thought that if it were my daughter, if I had a daughter, I wouldn't know what to do. Now I find out that I actually have a daughter and you were raped, I don't know what to say. I wish I could have been there to help you." He said tears streaming down his face.

"It's ok really, I'm fine." I said trying to comfort him.

"No it's not, you shouldn't have been put through that." He said getting angry.

"Dad, I'm fine now. I'm with you." I said smiling. I kissed his cheek and hugged him. He hugged back tightly. His phone started ringing.

"Hello?" He answered.

"Really?! That's great! thanks so much for helping Alex!" He said and he hung up.

"What was that about?" I asked him.

"Well, a judge went to Alex and told her to contact my precinct and get your mother's boyfriend and arrest him. And you get to live with me! The judge did not need to hear anything else after the social services worker said that the husband touched you and raped you." He said smiling really big and wiping happy tears from his eyes.

"Yay! I get to live with you!" I said hugging him tightly. He hugged me back.

"I love you dad." I said.

"I love you too sweetheart." He said back to me.