iv | aidan

SHE DIDN'T JUST DO THAT, RIGHT?

Please tell me she didn't just do that.

Spencer body slammed the force field for the fifth time. This time, he winced in pain after the attempt. He didn't try again after, clutching his arm in pain instead.

Ana was in a blubbering state, and I couldn't blame her. Lauren just took her little sister, probably back to the Institute. Just over a month ago, she was trying to stop a group of Evolutians from taking Laura from her family, and now Lauren takes her there herself.

"How the hell are we supposed to get out of here," Tyson asked. He had a hand pressed on the force field, then started sliding it across the screen. It really just looked like a glass dome around us, but there were little lines in the force field that appeared every now and then. "Is there any power or something that can undo this?"

"Jessica probably could've broke us out of this," I muttered. It didn't seem like anyone heard me.

"Try using your Agnikinesis against the barrier," Jake suggested. He looked at me and Tyson. "The heat should be able to short circuit the force field, depending on how strong Lauren made this."

"Agnikinesis?" Tyson questioned.

"Heat. Fire manipulation," I explained as I lit the tips of my fingers on fire and pressed it on the barrier.

The action was followed by a small yelp.

Everyone turned around, realizing that there was another man, who had no clue what was going on, in this cage. The funeral director. A mix of fright and shock painted his face as he pointed his shaky finger at me. I quickly extinguished the flame, tucking my hand in my pocket.

"You... and the girl... and apparently you too." The man's finger pointed towards Tyson. "You're all freaks. You all have powers. The human body isn't supposed to do that."

"Uh... well..." I look to Tyson for help. He looked frightened out of his mind. He spent years trying to keep his powers from the public, and this is how it get revealed - when we forgot there was someone else with us.

"Mr. Johnson, we can explain-" Lauren's dad started, but the man could not calm down.

"Get me out of here." He started banging on the force field. "Get me... out. These people are freaks. I thought we were done with them after the Queen died."

My sight turns back to Tyson at the mention of his mother. Another flash of fear appeared on his face. Instantly, he lit up his fingers, tiny sparks at the end on his fingertips, and pressed it against the barrier.

He didn't want to be here much longer.

I returned to help him, lighting up my fingers, and tried to ignore the man's screams. They seemed to be louder and echoed in the force field.

Sparks then appeared on the screen and seconds later, it all disappeared. The man made no hesitation and quickly ran off, not looking back. The rest of us just looked at each other, not sure what to do.

Kassandra helped Ana to her feet. "Come on, I'll walk you home."

"Why?" She replied, though it wasn't in response to what Kass said. "Why did she have to take her away? Why? I know I was going to put her up for adoption, but it'd be for the better. For her."

"Alyssa, you wanna come along and help?" Kass asked. She agreed instantly, putting an arm around the crying young woman. They started walking towards the Garcia household, which also was apparently listed for selling.

Once they were out of sight, Tyson spoke. "I'm going to take a walk." He started turning around. "Don't follow me," He added.

"Tyler, bro, wait." I started to walk after him, but something grabbed my shirt collar.