xx | aidan

WHEN IT COMES TO VIRUSES, DNA AND GENES PLAY A PRETTY BIG ROLE.

Yeah, I guess it's (very) risky to be actually working on this with the other around, especially when no one is supposed to know about all this, even a bunch of people at the Institute. But Spencer seemed to know what was going on... maybe the adults did too.

And maybe I'll be thought to be a traitor if they figure out what I'm doing.

Dr. Olsen already spoke to me since arriving. She wants to see me actually work on the project, keeping my end of the bargain. I don't even think she cares if everyone else finds out. 

Anyway, it's been said that DNA testing with blood samples and bone marrow wouldn't give an exact age of how old the person is. 80% of the time, the accuracy is within ten years of the actual age. We can't risk that, though. It has to be an exact age, or too many people will be affected that shouldn't be.

But hey, it's the Institute. They've done things that mankind has only dreamed about, imagined about, wrote about and put in movies and TV shows. They probably have some amazing technology, that can get the testing more accurate.

"Stupid goggles," I muttered, pulling them off my face and placed them to the side. I quickly glanced to the mirror, seeing that they left marks on my face. Sweat also dripped down my forehead, making my hair stick to my face. I ran a hand through it, which became sweat covered as well.

How long have I been working on this?

I pulled off my sweater, using it to wipe off my forehead and hair before tossing it across the room. Note to self, during what's basically a dystopian summer, you can never know when it'll go from thirty degrees Celsius to minus five degrees Celsius, and go back up. Always keep a sweater, just in case.

I grabbed my phone off the side table, checking the time. It was nearly two in the afternoon - I've been working on this for basically two hours. There was a message waiting to be read by me. I opened it.

i hate you. i hate you so much.

From Jordyn.

do you want me to call and try to explain?

The three dots at the bottom of the screen reappeared. I hate how the designers of the app decided to put them there. It just brings anxiety to the person waiting.

i wanted a normal brother.

oof. those are some pretty harsh words,
little sis.

you lied to me. basically every single day of my life.

we wanted to keep you safe.

great job with that, brother.

A pit of guilt inside of my started to grow. I knew she wasn't going to take this well. I can't believe it though - she's not the one being majorly affected by this.

you sent me away to keep your secret safe.

you didn't want to bring me back in the summer.

do you know how SCARY it was to have someone
burst into your room in the middle of the night
and take you somewhere else. somewhere you
don't know.

but it turns out that your family is there too.

i do, sis. that's what happened to me.

mom is here! dad apparently works here too.

I could basically feel her anger being transported between the screens. I'm glad she didn't decide to call.