xxv | lauren

I WALK INTO THE EMPTY PALACE, LOOKING AROUND. I've seen every inch of it before, somehow managing to remember the whole of it, and all the differences in the castle, too. For one, it was empty. Not a soul that lived here before was in here. Unless you count me returning, but I only ever stayed for a short while. Somehow, this was like a home to me. I could never feel it.

The lights were dimmed and the entire palace was a mess. No one has been in here for a while now, I'm guessing. I doubt anyone will return to this mess, not when there was a new ruler in town. The secrets were spilled about the royal family and they're ll in hiding. They're weak and afraid and are juts begging for someone else to take over.

That someone would be me, I guess. Me, with an army behind me, with people telling me what to do each second. Right now, I was alone. This isn't what it's going to be like in a few moment.

I take the chance to appreciate the silence. This was my kingdom, no matter who was behind me. I dragged my feet against the carpet to the throne room, where everything awaited for me. By now, the world knows what happened in the last few hours.

So much. So much was dumped onto me in such little time. Spencer was always on the Institute's side. He was the reason everything to me happened. But then again, my life could've ended right now. I could've been dead, rotting away in a coffin six feet under the ground. I'm not in that position, in fact, I'm probably on top of the world.

I looked down at the jewel around my ring finger. That was how we were supposed to win this kingdom -- with me in a forced marriage, the ring on my finger not representing a union but a transfer of power. I don't need it anymore. There was no need to be with someone with no power whatsoever anymore. 

I slipped the jewel off my fingers carefully, my finger feeling weird with the ring not on it. But it was also a relief from a fate I didn't want... one of them, at least.

"This is much more cozier than that cold place in the middle of woods, isn't it, sweetheart?"

My heart skipped a beat, not expecting the intruder, even if I know I should've. I dropped the diamond ring, losing it on the marble floor. I watched as it rolled over to the side, behind one of the pillars. There was no point in picking it up. I didn't need it.

I turned around to see my mother putting her stuff down, a group of people behind her. Scientists, servants and so many others. Auston walked up next to her, pecking her cheek. I gagged, not used to the scene.

"That's gross."

"Lauren, no need to be rude."

Yeah, but it's not like you are the one seeing you're mother love someone that isn't your father. And your dead best friend's father, of all people. Out of all the damn people in the world. What's the point of even start a relationship if you're probably gonna die soon enough.

They're gonna die. And Spencer is gonna take over. He's basically in charge now. He can control what I do. He could probably make me do some crazy thing right here, right now. But he has his own orders to follow. Even after Mom dies. I doubt he'll ignore her requests.

"We'll start setting up the equipment. Make this place more like home, you know?" Auston said, picking up a bag. "I guess you could look around. We'll bring you down if we need you."

I turned around and walked away instantly. No need to be here if I wasn't wanted. I'm only really a puppet, called upon when needed.

I used to be so much more. 

I used to be able to think for myself. I used to be able to come up with my own plans, breaking out of situations I didn't want to be in. There was a time when I was surrounded by those who care about me, and didn't want to use me. There was a time when life was so much simpler. I did whatever testing the Institute made me do. I had friends and three meals a day. There was something simpler before that, too, but I'd give anything to go back to that.