16 | Mercy

Just gonna stand there

And watch me burn

But that's alright

Because I like

The way it hurts

-Eminem ft. Rihanna, "Love the Way You Lie"

Luke

"Do you really mean that?"

Rachel and Miles turned around, clearly surprised to see me. Miles' eyes were steely, but I saw no trace of hate in them.

He sighed. "Yeah, Luke. I mean it. You really messed up, and I don't think I'll ever understand why you did it, but I don't hate you. You're my brother. If it weren't for you, I'd have no family left."

"I'm so sorry, Miles. I honestly don't know what the hell I was thinking. I was just so confused, so lost..."

Miles nodded. "We don't have to talk about it right now. Maybe soon we can, but we all have enough to worry about right now." He stepped toward me and lowered his voice so Rachel couldn't hear. "But she's mine, dude. Forever. You know that, right?"

"Of course I do. She's the love of your life. I will never try to mess that up... again," I added sheepishly.

He held out his hand, and I shook it. "Good. Plus, you've got a girl upstairs waiting for you," he pointed out, jerking his chin toward the hospital.

I don't know about that, I thought, but instead I just smiled.

"What's going on up there, anyway?" Rachel asked, stepping toward us.

"The doctors came in and wanted to do an exam, and they asked if I'd leave the room for her privacy... so I did." I scrunched my nose up. "Come to think of it, I don't know what the exam was?"

Miles and Rachel shrugged. "I'm sure she'll tell us when we go back up."

"Yeah." I checked my watch. "It's been about thirty minutes, want to go see if they're done?"

"Yeah, let's go. But I want to get a coffee first. I'll meet y'all up there?" Rachel said.

"Okay, babe," Miles said, pulling her to him and kissing her softly.

I am such an idiot. They're obviously meant for each other.

But the question is – is Brooke made for me?

Rachel

The hospital cafeteria was a bustling place for 5:30 am. The line at the Starbucks kiosk was at least six people deep, but I didn't care. After the past couple hours, I needed a White Chocolate Mocha, and only Starbucks could deliver.

When I finally got to the register, I realized I had left my wallet in the Camaro. "Shit," I cursed under my breath. My face reddened. "Sorry... hang on," I said, putting my hand in my hoodie pocket. I felt some sort of bill. "Yes!" I said triumphantly, pulling out a five. It was just enough for the drink.

I took my time going back up to the room; I was still feeling pretty awkward around Luke, and while I knew that would get better in time, I just needed a minute to myself.

I was sitting at a cafeteria table when my phone buzzed. It was Miles.

Babe, you need to get up here, like... now.