49 | Marry Me

Forever can never be long enough for me

To feel like I've had long enough with you

Forget the world now, we won't let them see

But there's one thing left to do.

-Train, "Marry Me"

Miles

Shit, shit, shit. It's finally here. It's New Year's Eve.

We were in the Jeep going to the beach for the fireworks show, and I was about to crawl out of my skin. My nerves were shot; all day I had worried about everything going just right. With Bradley's help, I got everything prepared. We would all meet him at the beach, including Ma and Pops, Katherine, Brooke, and Luke.

"Miles?"

Rachel's voice made me jump, and I looked at her sidelong. "What's up?" I asked in what I hoped was a casual voice.

She was looking at me curiously. "Are you all right?" 

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said, too quickly.

She cocked her head to one side. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, babe," I assured her, reaching over and squeezing her knee.

"Okay, if you say so," she said. "Is everyone coming to the beach?"

"Yep, as far as I know."

She hummed in response as we pulled into a parking spot at St. Andrews.

She smiled as I opened the door for her. "I love this place," she sighed.

"Me too," I said, wrapping my arm around her as we made our way to the beach.

"You remember that day we skipped school?" she asked, leaning into me, away from the chilly gulf breeze.

I kissed her temple before I answered. "Of course I do. That was the day I realized I was falling for you."

"Even though it was the first time we hung out?" she asked, looking up at me.

I nodded. "You showed me something that day that no other person besides my mother had ever shown me: compassion. You showed me that there was no reason to hide anymore."

Tears filled her eyes. "You're amazing, you know that?"

I shrugged. "So I've been told," I teased.

She bumped me with her hip as we walked down the sand to the old wooden chair we loved so much.

When I saw that everyone else was already there, I sighed in relief. I stole a glance at my watch and realized it was almost time.

I locked eyes with Bradley and he nodded, so I knew the first part of the plan was in place.

We greeted everyone, and to my delight, no one seemed to suspect a thing.

Bradley called Rachel over to where he stood and he pulled her into a hug. "Happy New Year, baby," he said.

"Happy New Year, Daddy," she responded, her feet inches away from the surf and her back to me.

"Hey, what's that?" Bradley asked, and I swear my heart stopped in my chest.

I watched in slow motion as Rachel looked down at her feet and knelt down to pick up the glass bottle Bradley was pointing at.

I took a deep breath and put my hand in my pocket, closing my fist around the velvet box.