17 | Forgiven

But there's a danger in loving somebody too much,

and it's bad when you know it's your heart you can't trust.

There's a reason why people don't stay where they are

Baby, sometimes love just ain't enough.

-Patty Smyth, "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough"

Rachel

We got back to Tallahassee by noon, and I was more exhausted than I had been in a long time. Luke went straight to his room, and Miles and I immediately took a shower and got under the covers. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close; I snuggled in against his chest and breathed him in.

"So, what's the next step for Brooke?" he asked, twirling my wet hair around his finger.

"She said that the cops were supposed to come by Monday and officially serve the DUI. Then she'll have a court date as soon as she's out of the hospital. But she was already getting dope sick when I was leaving, so I think when she leaves the hospital, she'll have to go to detox," I said, running my fingertips down his chest.

"Well, I hate that she got into trouble, but don't you think it's for the best?" he asked, looking down at me.

"Yeah, I do. If she'll stick to it... This whole pregnancy thing is a huge setback. Luke is furious; that can't be good for her recovery, knowing how much she hurt him."

"True, but she wouldn't want to put the baby in danger, right? Because if she starts using again... that could kill it," he pointed out.

"You're right. But I can't help but wonder if the damage hasn't already been done. I mean if she's eight weeks, that's two months of being pregnant while using heroin every single day," I replied.

Miles thought about this for a moment and just kissed my forehead in response. "We'll just have to wait and see, babe."

"Right." I yawned widely. "Nap time?"

"That's the best idea I've heard all day," he responded, pulling the cover over us and snuggling into me.

***

When I finally woke up, it was 7 pm. I rolled over and stretched my arm across the bed, but it fell flat against the mattress. I sat up and looked around, then I smelled something delectable.

Brownies.

I hopped out of bed, pulled on my robe (the long, fluffy cotton one this time), and ran out to the kitchen.

Miles was standing in front of the oven with a mitt on his hand, about to open the door.

"My God, are you trying to win the award for best boyfriend in the entire freaking world?" I asked, coming up behind him and wrapping my arms around his waist.

"Duh, only every day!" he responded, bumping me backwards gently with his butt so he could get the brownies out.

"They smell amazing," I said, breathing deep.

"They're double chocolate chip," he said proudly, cutting the brownies into squares.

"Perfect. Hey, have you seen Luke?" I asked, looking around.

"He hasn't been out of his room. Wanna go check on him?" he asked, putting a brownie on a plate and handing it to me.

"Yeah," I said, taking the plate and heading back to Luke's room.