46 | Worth It

I've seen the beauty of diamonds and pearls

But they mean nothing baby

Your love amazes me

-John Berry, "Your Love Amazes Me"

Brooke

Luke and I were lying in my bed, tangled in each other's arms, listening to the waves crashing on the sand.

"So..." I started, trying to decide how to word the question that had been on the tip of my tongue since he got into town.

He turned over to face me and propped himself up on his elbow. "What's up, B?"

I decided to just throw it out there. "How did it go with Jessica?"

He sighed. "Do we have to talk about this?"

"Yeah, we do. I feel awful about how everything happened. I mean, I know I screwed up and I know I wasn't myself for months, but I am now. Is she okay?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, she is, actually. It was really hard to tell her, and she was pretty angry. I don't blame her though... and Rachel told me she had a date tonight, so that's a good sign."

I sighed with relief. "Good. That makes me feel better."

"Good." Luke reached up and pushed a piece of hair out of my face. "Have you heard anything from your PO about moving?"

I flopped onto my back and stared at the ceiling. "Not yet."

"Hey," Luke said, taking my hand and squeezing. "Don't give up yet, okay?"

"I'm not... I've already signed up for classes and paid my tuition. I just... after everything that's happened, everything I've done... Do I even deserve for this to work out?" I murmured, my voice thick with tears.

I felt the mattress shift under me as Luke sat up. He put his hands on my thighs and tapped me, trying to get me to sit up. I sighed heavily and sat up to face him.

"Brooke," he said, putting his hands on my cheeks. "You have to stop punishing yourself. You did some bad things, yeah. You made some bad decisions – that hurt you, me, and our – " His voice choked, and he continued without completing that sentence. "But you've paid your dues, Brooke. You went to rehab, completed it successfully, you're nearly done with your community service, and you've been clean for almost four months. I don't know what else you can do to prove that you've gotten back on track."

In the middle of his speech, tears had started to slide down my face. Luke wiped them away with his thumbs, and I felt the callouses his fingertips from his guitar playing.

"I don't deserve you, Luke," I whispered.

He scoffed. "Brooke. What did I just say? Now stop it!" he said, kissing me gently.

I responded to his kiss, melting into him like we had never been apart.

Rachel

"Jack!" I squealed as he bounded into the kitchen.

I jumped off the barstool and scratched behind his ears.

"Oh, he's missed you so much," Mom said as she sat my mug of hot chocolate on the island.

"You've missed me, baby boy?" I cooed in doggie talk, kissing the top of his furry head repeatedly.

I stood up and took a sip of my hot chocolate when I heard the front door open.