Chapter Four: An Android Owner

Eileen Wu's short black hair was recognizable everywhere, and it was Eileen sitting at the far side of the lounge taking a bite out of her colossal burger. Tyler was momentarily shocked she could even gulp it down into her tiny frame. When their eyes locked, they both lit up like Christmas trees, as if they hadn't seen each other for many years. Eileen jumped out of her chair and pulled him into a tight hug.

     "What? You're here, too? I can't believe it!" said Eileen.

     "I just came out of buying an android since the voucher requires it to be custom-built," answered Tyler. Eileen ushered him to the empty seat in front of her.

     "Ah, right. So, how did it go?"

     "All right, I guess? It was a bit weird not knowing the jargon of what I was buying."

     "If you keep up with it, you might be a devout android buyer like some folk! SynTech always brings in a new generation every four years, and people just went crazy and lined up along all their stores to be the first to get it!"

     Tyler remembered the SynTech store near him. Last month, the lines stretched out three blocks. "Wait, what are you doing here?" 

     Eileen blushed. "Gideon Reese invited me over. He was so impressed by the fundraiser that he wants me to handle their next event in six months. And guess what, the President and some of the big wigs in the capital are gonna be the guests!"

     Both Tyler and Eileen went off talking about the upcoming event. Eileen was beaming. It was a significant exposure for her career and her small business to be chosen for this fundraiser. Tyler asked if he could be a photographer and Eileen hired him on the spot. She did warn him there may be a ton of background checks before he could be part of her staff per the White House's requirement. 

     Remembering that the meal was free, he ordered one of the expensive dishes they had, which was a lobster pasta along with a glass of red wine. However, Eileen instead bought an entire bottle to celebrate her new assignment.

     "To us being in Washington and brushing shoulders with those DC swamps and crocodiles, and also for you, for finally owning an android," toasted Eileen giddily. They clinked their wine glasses together.

     As the minutes ticked by, Tyler became anxious all of a sudden. He thought it was from sitting too long in one spot, though, he doubted that was it. When his mind wandered to Aiden, he realized he was nervous about meeting the android. The fully-built custom finish. There was no reason for him to be nervous around a machine but he also came into the factory in the dark, not knowing what was on the other side. What if Aiden's broken? Or the custom build that Tyler did wasn't enough?

     Two hours passed and there was still no Harry, and both Eileen and Tyler were on their third glass of wine, gulping down the nervousness and hoping it wouldn't return. Tyler had to stop himself halfway when he remembered that he had to drive back home.

     Eileen decided to stay with him, curious to see his new android. She had her own two AD-Class 600s back in her office, but she hasn't bought the latest model yet due to the cost. She had limited interactions with an AD-Class 700, but not up-close, wondering what the fuss was all about them, to which Tyler smugly answer to wait. In the end, they were a nervous wreck, anxiously waiting for Harry to finish the customization.

     On the third hour, Harry entered the lounge with a big smile on his face and approached their table.

     "It's all done, Mr. North."

     "Where can we see him?" asked Eileen. Harry looked at her for a second, and he instantly recognized who she was.

     "Oh! Ms. Wu, glad to see you, too. Well, we can either go to the adjacent room or Aiden can come in here. Your pick."