Chapter Nine: The Sphinx

A/N: Hello readers, I wanted to let you all know that Mechanical Gods has been picked up by Wattpad Featured List! Thank you all for the support! As a gift, I made this chapter very, very long. Enjoy!

---0---

     The night air chilled to below freezing and Tyler felt underdressed again. They picked up Frank first, climbing into the backseat. Frank took a quick, curious look at Aiden behind the driver's wheel, shrugged, and said nothing of it.

     "I am your designated driver," said Aiden happily.

     "Great! That means I can get as much tequila as I can shove down my throat," said Frank.

     Tyler stored Aiden's standard Android uniform at the back of the trunk just in case something happened in the bar, or that Aiden needed a change of clothes if the time called for it. It was a precaution if any of the security, or worse, the cops found out and asked Aiden to wear his usual clothes back. If they found out, it would be a thousand dollar fine.

     They picked up Al next. Al also gave Aiden an odd look but decided not to do anything about it. He took out his flask from his pocket and took a swig, handing it out for Tyler and Frank who both drank from it. Unfortunately, Eileen couldn't make it since she got the flu, crying behind the phone as she apologized to the rest of the group. Tyler offered to stay and hang out in her apartment instead, but she insisted they go out without her.

     Without Eileen, the night ultimately turned into a boy's night, which meant a change of plans. Instead of the typical club downtown, Frank and Al had decided to visit The Sphinx, the newly opened and hottest club near Hell's Kitchen. It was so popular that the lines stretched out around the block. 

     Even with the long line, Al, Frank, and even Aiden voted to go to The Sphinx. Tyler had no idea what The Sphinx's trying to sell, but when they got closer to the entrance, he found out why it was trendy.

     "Sex Androids?" Tyler gaped at the others.

     "Not just that, but, they got the best drinks around the city. All the workers in there are androids," said Al excitedly.

     "Ha! Good luck going through the worker's union for that," said Frank.

     "It worked, didn't it? Look at the crowd!"

     There were already hundreds of people out on the cold lining up to get in. The line moved along slowly, but Tyler guessed it would take several minutes before they could get inside.

     Aiden tapped Tyler on the shoulder, bringing his lips close to his ear and whispered, "Does that mean I can go in?"

     Tyler shook his head. "Commercial Androids. Usually used in some seedy sex clubs, but apparently, this got approved by the city. They won't allow androids in that they don't own, I'm afraid," said Tyler.

     Aiden nodded. "I'll keep my clothes on then."

     Once Tyler caught sight of the bouncers checking people's IDs, he panicked. He forgot to make one for Aiden. They were already the next in line, and when the intimidating bouncer extended his hand out for his ID, Tyler meekly gave it to him, trying to act casual. The bouncer let him behind the gate, and he watched in horror as Aiden approached the bouncer with a broad, charming smile on his face. 

     Aiden pulled out his identification card, a smooth, rectangular transparent glass that, when touched, lit up to reveal the image inside. Aiden touched the glass, and instead of showing his Android model and Tyler's name as the owner, it was a picture of Aiden in his human clothes, taken from the mirror back in the apartment along with other essential information.