Chapter Twenty-Five: Training by the Numbers

A/N: Character portrait of Echo Jones above! I imagined her to be the likeness of Tessa Thompson, one of my favorite actresses at the moment. Enjoy!

---0---

     "Are you being serious?" Echo Jones laughed when Tyler asked her to train him how to fight. Or at least handle himself better in heated situations. The bitter memory of Tyler's beating in the hands of Iago replayed through his mind once again, and he mentally tried to shove the memory aside.

     What's done is done. I can't do anything about that, he thought.

     "Yes, I am," Tyler said forcefully, but it came out more of a whine. He cringed from that, and Echo chuckled.

     Tyler had this conversation for about ten minutes now in the facility's kitchen, and it was getting harder and harder to keep it up while at the same time, staring directly at the woman casually sipping her cup of black coffee, who looked like she didn't want to be disturbed or murder someone. It was already six in the morning and Echo was already dressed for work: her usual navy blue, skinny, women's tapered trousers, and a white, short-sleeved buttoned up shirt. Her curly, black hair was already propped up into a simple low bun.

     "And why would you suggest such a thing? Hm?" She asked with a sly smile, but she soon dropped it when the realization dawned on her. "Ah. I see. Aiden," she frowned.

     Tyler could still feel the bruises underneath his shirt. It had only been two days since the incident, but it felt like it only happened an hour ago. Even as simple as going to the bathroom hurt or swallow a large meal. He asked Toby to bring him soft food like soup or smoothies instead. He nursed his hot cup of green tea on his hand.

     "I hate it when Aiden treat me like I can't protect myself. I'm about six foot and occasionally active. I run and do heavy lifts from time to time. It's not really something to look down on--"

     "Okay, let me stop you right there. Height and athletics alone is not a substantial factor in how good you fight," she said.

     "That's why I'm here. To ask you to teach me."

     "And who on earth told you that I'm qualified to do that?"

     "I'm not saying anything," Tyler shrugged. "I just know that you can handle yourself pretty well and I want you to teach me how to fight."

     In truth, Tyler was lying. He asked Monty first ever since he woke up this morning, earning the same reaction as Echo. Laughter and jeers. He didn't know why they would do that, or what was so funny about him learning how to fight. Monty was a couple inches shorter than him, and it was kind of insulting getting these same reactions. He was thinking of asking Bernard next but the man hardly talked, and he'd be lucky to get out a response.  Fortunately, however, Monty recommended that Echo had the ability teach like a lioness out of the recruits.

     Tyler didn't know what to make of that one but he determined it must be a compliment. Granted, he never saw Echo fight before, but looking at the woman, she was already intimidating even when she wore a dress in some days.

     Now he was pitching the same spiel he gave to Monty. Aiden might be dangerous and Tyler wanted to learn how to handle himself if ever he went off down the deep end again. The mere thought of that sent shivers down his spine. Of course, he didn't want it to happen again, but given the circumstances of incidents (twice now), the chances of Aiden going berserk greatly increased. Tyler might not get out alive by the third round.

     Sadly, after taking another sip of her coffee, Echo refused the offer.

---0---