Chapter Twenty: One of Many

The study remained unbothered by the recent discovery of Dr. Quinn's research potentially still present within Aiden's artificial brain or his ever-evolving databank for the next few days. Although the scripts were hidden behind layers of encrypted walls, the unexpected finding caused a rapturous commotion around the lab as most were at a loss of what to do with the information.

     There was a reason why most of them were excited about the discovery of the other scripts, particularly to Gideon Reese. It meant answers about the illusive Horizon Project or SynTech's involvement with the US government, especially in Dr. Quinn's death. It was obvious that most of the scientists working in the lab had worked under Dr. Royland Quinn at some point in time. Dr. Quinn was an influential man in the company, revered for his ingenuity, and if not for him, SynTech wouldn't be where it was at this point in time.

     Gideon Reese felt those strings gripping him harder than anyone else. Being the Project Executive of the company, he was only a step below in rank from Dr. Quinn when he was still alive. Reese was his protégé, and Tyler could see how the cut ran deeply of the potential answers brimming from the hidden scripts inside Aiden's databank would affect him.

     The first test's setback created a lot of problems, particularly in how to extract out the desired answers from the different versions of the prototype out of Aiden. Most importantly, Gideon Reese and the others wanted to pinpoint if Sam, the original prototype, was one of the hidden scripts. There was only one way to make it work: By showing Aiden the traumatizing video file. The scientists wanted to do it again and theorized that they could widen the digital hole that appeared within Aiden's system, and potentially see more of the other side of that wall, however, on the expense of risking another overload.

     Tyler protested against the group's deliberation. He wasn't alone and was both glad and relieved that Gideon Reese agreed with him, much to the dismay of both Dr. Sutton and the rest of the scientists. The only easiest way to access any of those scripts laid six feet beneath the earth. Dr. Quinn took those things to his grave for a reason. Whatever he cooked up with the government that got him killed, if there's truth that his suicide was a cover-up, then, Tyler had a bad feeling about it.

     "It's harder to find another way when we already have one," scoffed Amanda, frustrated after a week of continuous arguing with the others. "Or would you rather dig up the guy in a cemetery?"

     "We are not doing any digging, Amanda," Reese spat, narrowing her eyes at him.

     Amanda turned sour in an instant, blood shooting up her cheeks as she feigned some excuse from her remark. "I'm merely asking to try it again. We can do safeguards this time and avoid potential unwanted incidents."

     Dr. Sutton had been put at the back burner for the rest of the week due to the disastrous first test, and as much as she tried to wiggle her way back into the circle, most of her recommendations included things that could potentially hurt Aiden. For example, manually hacking Aiden's databank that could result in Aiden "locking" himself. Which Al later explained would result in Aiden being brain dead.

     "And looked how that turned out. If he overloads again, we might not get him back," said Tyler.

     Tyler was right and he knew it. He could see it in the rest of their faces. Aiden was their only sentient android and if they lose him, they lose the answers they'd been seeking. No honeyed words of reassurances could convince him any safest way to test Aiden's capability as a sentient android, and to obtain the vital information of the nature of his existence. Now that he's one of many, Tyler was more afraid of the other script's capability. One of him already threatened them, and as much as he wanted to spend time scrutinizing over every little detail of the threat like the others in the room, he didn't doubt the genuine authenticity behind its words.