Chapter Twenty-One: Acts at the Continuance

Tyler walked toward the second access elevator leading to the third floor. The elevator was behind the bookshelves in the library. Echo pulled a couple of books down from the shelves to reveal the hidden compartment, and proceeded to access the panel, pressing her right palm on the touchscreen. The elevator doors opened, and Echo and Tyler hopped inside.

    The doors opened to a very handsome and modern-looking suite with a hint of Italian mixed on the design of its reddish-oak tapestry panels and marble floor that had probably been waxed at least twice a day. Gideon Reese's suite encompassed the entire third floor. A television, large home theater speakers, a small area filled with gym equipment, and professional black-and-white framed photographs hung on the far right. Expensive lounge chairs sat at the very middle next to the fireplace, with its fabric peppered with detailed embroidery that must've taken a hundred of hours to sew. The nude-colored silk of the curtains danced gently from the chilly winter breeze whistling in through the open window with sunlight barely peeking out behind the mountains. The inviting aroma of bacon, coffee, and toast coupled with the smell of fresh snow and burning wood from the fireplace invaded Tyler's nostrils.

     At the cursory glance to his right, Toby, the android, set a large dining table for breakfast, and the source of the inviting smell sat on a rolling tray beside him. Music poured soothingly from the speakers, which Tyler recognized. Claude Debussy's Clair de Lune. Pleasant and sweet, Tyler mused. He stepped further into the room.

     Tyler didn't notice the third presence in the room aside from Echo and Toby. Gideon Reese stood by the door to his left with only his bathrobe. He had the stash half-strung, causing a part of his robe to hang open, teasing his broad chest and shoulders. The robe's hem was parted slightly to the side, revealing that it was the only thing he's wearing. A sly smile crept on Reese's lips as he covered himself. With blood rushing up Tyler's cheeks, he desperately cast his eyes at the dozens of black-and-white portraits around the room.

     "When I called for you, I didn't think you'd be up here that quick," Reese said.

     "I am full of surprises, don't I? Well, lucky for you, I was already awake."

     "I'd say. Can't sleep?"

     "I had a few. I've been a little out of myself since all of this started."

     Echo made a curt nod before she left with Toby after he finished setting up the table. Reese walked over toward the table, picked a sliced piece of strawberry, and popped it inside his mouth. "Care to join me for breakfast?"

     "I won't be here if I wasn't going to now, won't I?"

     "Good point. I hope this is up to your palate. It has come to my attention that Aiden watches what you eat since you're on a diet."

     "At first, I was expecting something mundane."

     "For instance?"

     "Your cronies yapping. If Aiden is sentient, they should hear what they say sometimes."

     "Ah. Well, you are not alone. They bore me, too. Please. Help yourself."

     Tyler looked at the fresh bacon and eggs, as well as a plate filled with blueberry pancakes. There was toast, too, as well as sausages and all kinds of fruits. Tyler walked toward the only empty seat across from Reese. 

     An awkward silence permeated the air once he sat down, though Tyler welcomed it as he was busy putting all the savory things inside his mouth. He could still remember the time when Aiden told him to cut his bacon. Tyler loved bacon more than anything, and it crushed his heart he wouldn't be able to enjoy it every morning ever since he regretfully told Aiden he wanted to be on a strict diet. A big mistake of his life. He determined today would be his cheat day.