Chapter nineteen

By four o'clock we were back in the village and out for a walk. I'm never a fan of long car rides, but Tate turned on the radio and hummed along. I fell silently in tune with him for the rest of the drive.

Once again, my hand found his and squeezed as we passed by some stores. Most of the children have been scrambled in to their homes or the Pack house for dinner. I swear those women live in that kitchen. When we got back, almost all of the same women were in there, at the exact same stations they were at in the morning. But there was one extra girl that I haven't seen for days, that I haven't wanted to think about for days.

Darcey.

Tate tried to not make it awkward, popping in and grabbing a strawberry from a bowl next to Darcey. Darcey laughed and slapped his arm, a gesture that I found myself growing jealous of. I tried to shake off the feeling, but it just wouldn't leave me.

"Good afternoon, Alpha" all of the women said in sink, along with Darcey. I had stood awkwardly in the doorway and watched as they all went back to work. The room smelled of chicken and spaghetti.

"How's she doing?" Darcey asked when everyone was turned away again. I knew I wasn't supposed to hear, so I crossed my arms over my stomach and looked at the ground.

"Why don't you ask her yourself?" Tate asked. It's obvious that she didn't know I was standing in the doorway. I watched out of the corner of my eye as she opened her mouth slightly, but I was saved by the bell.

"Izzy?" Violet called from another room. I smirked at the ground and walked into the living room where Violet stood impatiently on the couch. Her arms were crossed over her chest and a frown was on her lips. When she saw me, she instantly smiled and lifted her arms for me to catch her.

"When awe we gonna watch a movie?" She asked quietly, peeking behind me at Tate. I turned around to face him and smiled. His arms were crossed over his chest, causing his muscles to flex.

"How does seven sound? I'll meet you in Tate's room?" I said. Tate's eyes sparkled.

"Yes!" She yelled.

Now, as I follow Tate through the quiet village, hand in hand, I wonder what Darcey was going to say.

Darcey Hind, my only friend has lied to me for my entire life. Darcey Hind knew about the kidnapping. Darcey Hind is the Female Beta of my mates enemy Pack. Darcey Hind is against me. Darcey Hind has taken the only joy I ever had in life, twisted it like a wet towel and threw it to the ground without any hesitation or what looks like guilt.

"Isa, you need to-"

"Don't call me that" I growl at her. "Only my friends can call me that" I glare at her so hard that she'd be dead if eyes could kill.

"I didn't want to-"

"Stop. I don't want to hear your pathetic excuse, I don't want to hear your voice, I don't want to see your face. What I want is to find my mate and get out of this hell hole so I can attempt a normal life" I spit at her.

And then I ran. I couldn't handle all of this, especially when I found out she knew. But now I'm starting to second guess my actions. Was I really to hard on her? Was Noah right when he said that she was scared that I wouldn't be friends with her again if I knew?

She should have told me earlier, should have shown me. I am her best friend, eventually I'd understand that the wolf was a part of her. And eventually I would have my own shift, becoming what she was.

I sniffle and lean into Tate. He rests his arms across my shoulders and kisses the top of my head. I smile and let my eyes water slightly.

I miss Darcey.