Chapter 4. The Late Night Talk

The rest of the night was uneventful, to say the least—but that didn't mean it was a normal one. Mikey knew it was far from it, mostly due to the fact that he was the one to blame. A usual night played out with some laid-back TV time, which was always interrupted by brotherly banter. Mikey and Raph were the loudest ones of course, always arguing over which girl was the prettiest, or who was the murderer, or their favourite topic: which celebrity would win in an all-out ninja battle.

But that night, Mikey stayed oddly silent. This perplexed Don, but Raph and Leo dismissed it, thinking he was more tired than usual that night. Unable to take the silence any longer, Don sighed exasperatedly and looked to Mikey, who sat beside him on the couch. "Why so quiet tonight?" he asked.

Without turning his head from the TV, Mikey shrugged, suppressing the urge to wince when he felt the familiar jab of pain in his side. Please, please, please take that as an answer.

"Tell me," Don said hopefully. When Mikey still didn't reply, he persisted: "Are you—"

"—S'nothin'," Mikey interrupted. "Just a little tired today, dude." Yeah right, who am I kidding? I'd give anything to be tired if it meant that I wouldn't be in pain.

"Well make sure you get plenty of rest tonight, then," Don responded, a little more at ease. "I don't want to be the one waking you up in the morning, trying to yell over your 'five more minutes' speech." Mikey chuckled lightly with Don and both turned back to the lighted screen. I guess that means he bought it. I am on a roll tonight! Mikey scores...a gazillion; Bros—still zero.

Finally, the four brothers decided it was time to go to bed. After saying goodnight to each other and then to their Sensei, they split off into their own rooms.

Mikey couldn't wait to get to sleep. As soon as his head softly his pillow, he relaxed fully, thankful that he didn't have to hide anything until the morning came. He shifted to get comfortable, trying to ignore the dull pain still emanating from his side. He shifted again, choosing to lie on the side opposite of the bandage. After a minute, he changed his position a third time. Still uncomfortable, Mikey shifted once more. Now I'm getting super annoyed. This pain is so distracting. I want to sleep so badly...

After a few more minutes of trying, Mikey sighed, giving up. Slowly, he sat up and swung his legs over the side of his bed. This is making me, like, totally depressed and stuff. My chest still feels tight and the pain isn't going away; I can't sleep, I can't move, and...there's still morning practice—shell! I almost forgot again. Dude, I have got to think of something to get out of it. But I can't think with my side aching like this...Wait, I know! I definitely saw some Advil in the bathroom cabinet today, and it can stop the pain, right? I mean if it can relieve headaches and colds and stuff, it's got to be somewhat helpful!

Mikey lifted himself off the bed, opened his door, and peeked his head out. No one's awake of course, so it'll be smooth sailing to the bathroom. Mikey tiptoed to the bathroom and found the Advil bottle. Aha! Right where I knew it was. Nice.

With two small pills in one hand and the Advil bottle in the other, he crept back to the kitchen to fetch a glass of water. Quickly, he downed the medicine in one swallow and was about to head back up to his room—when he heard a faint sound behind him. What was that? Started, he jumped back and raised his arms to protect himself.

"My son," came a voice from the shadows. "It is only me."

"M-master Splinter?" Mikey stuttered. He let his hands return to his sides as he watched Splinter walk forward into the meagre kitchen light. "Almost jumped outta my shell, Sensei." Jeez, Sensei sure knows how to out ninja-someone. "What're you doing up?"

Splinter's whiskers twitched thoughtfully. "I was going to ask you the same, Michelangelo."

Mikey looked down at the glass on the kitchen counter. "Oh...I was just um, thirsty." He gave a wide, innocent smile.

Splinter lowered his eyes for a moment, his face making a small frown. "Hmm, and what do you have in your hand?" he asked.

Mikey made a swift glance at the Advil bottle was holding and immediately hid it behind his back. "Nothing! It's nothing," he answered nervously. Maybe it was too dark for him to see it. Maybe he won't—

"Are you in pain, my son?" Splinter said softly.

Mikey hung his head in defeat but gave nothing away. Shell, shell, SHELL. He knows. No, no. I can't tell him anything. I can't.

Splinter pressed on with a stern tone. "It has to do with that bandage, does it not?"

Mikey looked up in surprise but didn't answer. I am so in trouble; Sensei is definitely mad at me. But what can I say? If I denied it, I'd be lying. He cast his eyes down again, too ashamed to see the worried look Splinter had on his face.

Sighing, Splinter placed a gentle hand on Mikey's arm. "I do not know why you choose to keep your pain a secret, but if you are not yet ready to tell someone, then I will not force you."

He's not...mad? I thought for sure I'd be done for! I can't believe he's letting me go. I feel so guilty... I don't know how long I'm gonna be able to take this. Mikey raised his head and was about to say something, but closed his mouth. I want to say so much. I want this all to end. Mikey tried to speak again. "Sorry," he whispered. "I just..." Mikey paused, trying to come up with something better to say, "...sorry." Well, that sounded great.

Splinter stepped back. "It is alright." A strange glint in his eye suddenly made Mikey uneasy. "But perhaps you might be able to explain the extent of your pain during morning practice. Physically."

Mikey gulped, backing away in the direction of his room. "Yeah, um, g-goodnight, Master Splinter."

"Sweet dreams, Michelangelo."

Mikey made it back to his room and laid down once more on his bed, feeling both relieved and worried at the same time. Man, Sensei and his premonitions are killer. I bet he could write up some good fortune cookies with—wait, wait, getting distracted again. Focus, I've got to focus. Okay. I need to come up with a totally believable excuse to get me out of practice. Maybe...I'll say I slept in a bad position. Nah, that won't even get Don to budge. Or how about I have foot fungus? No, no, I'd never live that down.

Mikey yawned drowsily. Or maybe...I could...tell them...I can't...do...Unaware of his eyes closing, Mikey fell into a deep slumber.

When morning came, Mikey couldn't help but groan not only in annoyance at the return of the dull ache in his side but also at the realization that he still didn't have an excuse for skipping morning practice. I am so screwed. Mikey stumbled out of his bed angrily, muttering to himself. Figures. I screwed up then...and I screw up now. A perfect way to start my day.

Suddenly, Mikey heard a faint meow from next to him. Mikey looked down and gave a sad smile. "Hey Klunkers. Hey buddy." He picked up his cat carefully, wincing at the stab of pain he received at the motion. He petted his cat lovingly for a few minutes, enjoying the peaceful silence. Mikey felt his bandage, replaying what had happened yesterday in his mind. He looked back to Klunk. "You know, I...I'm glad that you're here, Klunk," Mikey said. "If I hadn't saved you..." Mikey cut off, not able to go on. You'd probably end up like the cat I met yesterday.

Mikey placed Klunk back onto the floor and watched the cat scamper happily away. This is my burden. I alone will bear this pain, and not even Master Splinter can know. The turtle stood up abruptly and started to make his way to the dojo. I can only hope that my Turtle Luck won't get in the way today. Time for the dreaded morning practice.