Chapter 8. The Failed Escape

"No, it's really okay, Don. It's fine," Mikey said. He squirmed against the wall, trying not to look his older brother in the eyes.

"Why are you being so difficult today?" Don pressed closer to Mikey, making his brother tense up even more. "Please, Mikey. There's no use resisting me."

I won't give up without trying, but I don't want to fight my bros any more than they want to fight with me. Still looking away, Mikey whimpered. It was his way of showing he didn't want to listen. I'm feeling pretty tired anyway.

After a minute of waiting in silence, Don let out an exasperated sigh. "Mikey," he said in a low voice. "Let me see your side. Now." Don kept his face calm, but his tone was almost hostile.

Mikey's stubborn expression dropped from his face instantly. "No, I—n-no," Mikey stuttered, caught off-guard by Don's reaction. Donnie's pissed. I knew he wouldn't just nicely back off, but I didn't think I'd make him angry. And he's totally not one to mess around with when he's mad; it could seriously start off World War III in here.

At the slightly frightened look Mikey gave, Don realized his mistake. "Wait don't—don't give me that look, Mikey. I just...I worry about you, okay?" The purple-banded turtle tried to put a hand on Mikey's arm to reassure him, but the youngest jerked away. "I just wanted to make sure it was healing properly," Don pleaded.

Mikey shook his head. "I-I told you I'm okay," he muttered softly.

Don pushed further, practically shouting, "How many times do I have to tell you? I just—"

"—NO!" Mikey cut Don off with just as loud a voice. He winced a bit from the flare of pain it sent up his side. "You can't!" This is getting out of control...and it's so hard to think straight like this.

"I can't what, Mikey?" Don yelled back, his patience wearing thin.

Mikey was almost in tears. "You can't see it! It's fine, I took care of it!"

At this point, Don was terribly vexed at the way the youngest was acting. Hoping to calm his brother and make sense of this crazy mess, he made a move towards Mikey, attempting a second time to lay a comforting hand on the turtle's arm. Instantly, Don found himself shoved back roughly. It hardly sent him back a few feet, but the assault itself was enough for Don to look at Mikey in utter disbelief.

Mikey stared right back, his expression almost identical to his older brother's. What the shell am I doing? I don't want to fight Donnie. No, no, no! It can't be this way. I don't want to fight against anything! Not my brothers, not Master Splinter, not this pain, not my own memories of that day! And I can't cry. I won't—

Now completely fed up with the youngest, Don made the rash decision to rip off Mikey's bandage himself. Mikey used his lightning-fast reflexes to dodge to the side, but Don had already taken his brother's reaction into account. Without hesitation, he whipped out his hand again to reach for Mikey's side—but right before he made contact, Mikey let out a wild scream.

Don froze. All he could do was gape at his youngest brother in horror. He backed away shakily, taking the sight in. Mikey was trembling at this point, pressed up so hard against the wall that it almost seemed like he could pass right through it. And he was crying. Crying. His little brother, whom Don had always sworn to protect from sadness and pain looked like a caged beast, ready to spring out at any second.

The door to the lab was thrust open suddenly, making Don jump out of his trance. "Donnie, what's goin' on? We heard someone scream," called Raph, entering the lab. Leo was already ahead of him, walking briskly to his two siblings.

Spotting Mikey's tears, Leo immediately grabbed Don firmly by the arm and forcefully pulled him away from Mikey. His face wore a furious glare. "I thought you were just going to do a simple check-up. What is wrong with you?"