Chapter 7. The Mandatory Checkup

Don shook the youngest's arm gently to get his attention. "Mikey? Answer me."

"I...I was coughing." Mikey said, shifting a bit on the couch.

"Yeah. We heard that and came running," said Leo, trying to keep his uneasiness and worry off his stoic face. "Could you elaborate?"

"Um...no?" Mikey replied, giving his best puppy dog face. How am I gonna get past this? Even I don't know why I started coughing so much. But I have this sinking feeling that it has to do with my injury.

At Leo's disapproving stare, Mikey could tell he had to answer with something. "Well, I was coughing earlier...from the dust this morning. From the kitchen thing, you know? Maybe I breathed in too much stuff." This actually makes sense. Maybe that is what happened; maybe I'm just paranoid about my side.

Don and Leo looked doubtful, but couldn't think of anything else that could've explained the sudden attack. "Are you sure?" Don asked fretfully. "I just—I don't like this. People don't cough like that just because they breathed in too much smoke, not after a few hours."

"But I'm a turtle," Mikey deadpanned.

Don rolled his eyes in exasperation. "You know what I mean, Mikey."

Mikey shrugged apologetically. Leave it to Donnie to poke holes in my logic.

Don's face softened with concern. "It sounded really bad." He took a moment to study Mikey's face. "And you look a bit pale, too. Do you feel okay? I have some cough drops in the lab—"

"—Whoa, Donnie you worry too much," Mikey interrupted hastily. "I'm fine. Really." The turtle gave his best smile.

"Oh no you don't, Mikey. You're not going to get away this time," Don chided with a hard stare. He stood up from the couch and put himself in front of Mikey. "Let's go to my lab. A simple check-up won't take up much time at all."

Shell, I have to escape. This is not going well. "But-but—"

"No buts, Mikey. Listen to Donnie," Leo said sharply. "There's a perfectly good reason to be worried about you—that cough looked pretty painful. And playing the tough turtle isn't gonna get you anywhere." He turned to Don and said, "I'll leave him in your hands. I'll be in the dojo if you need me."

"Sure, Leo," Don responded.

As Leo started to walk away he called to Mikey, "It's because we care about you bro, that we're so insistent. Keep that in mind."

"I know..." Mikey muttered, feeling a bit guilty. And it's exactly because of that I don't want you guys to know about my injury. And what happened that day.

Don watched Leo leave for a moment then locked his eyes on Mikey. "C'mon, Mike." He turned around, expecting his brother to follow.

But Mikey hesitated for a second, looking in the direction of the lair's exit. I can escape now when Donnie's not looking. Mikey swivelled his head back to Don's retreating form. But what then? I'd have to come back sometime and would totally be in like so much trouble. I have to be smart about this, as boring as that sounds.

"Mikey, what are you staring at?" Don called from outside his lab. "Get over here!"

"Sorry, sorry..." Mikey walked quickly into the lab where Don was impatiently waiting by an empty stool.

"Sit please," Don said.

Mikey silently complied. As soon as he sat down, Don went to rummage through the small medical kit he had pulled out. Mikey couldn't help but be a little nervous. He bounced his legs out of habit and shivered a bit as he felt a chill go down his back. He was virtually shaking when Don finally spun around with his tools.