2. Goodbyes

The tributes were marched into the Justice Buildings of their respective districts. All got locked into twenty-four waiting rooms, alone but waiting for visitors. Some had tried to escape in the past, and it is clear that it won't be happening this time.

◼▲◼

Tristan McLean came running through the door. Piper stood up to greet him, only for him to wrap her in a hug.

She gasped in surprise, "Dad! Easy, I'm not going to be gone forever."

He continued to hold her, and she let herself enjoy this rare moment. He was usually so busy with work at the Capitol, and sometimes he didn't even come home, leaving her to dine alone.

When he released her, she was dumbstruck to see the tears streaming down his face. "You don't think I'll win," she realized, heart sinking. "Dad, I've been training —"

"It's not that," he cut her off, voice hoarse. "I think you have a great shot at winning. It's just...Piper, you're so beautiful and charming. The Capitol won't just let you come back."

Piper shook her head, "I don't understand. You're here. We have a house at Victor's Village."

"No," he sank into a nearby armchair. "You don't need to know what they've done with me. I don't want you to die in the Arena...but—"

"Can you please explain?" Piper cried. "You're scaring me. What happened when you won?"

"It doesn't matter, it's nothing," he waved his hand, and suddenly he was filled with vigour. He sat forward, "Pipes, I want you to win. And whatever you decide to do afterwards, you do not need to take me into consideration. Do what you want with your life afterwards. You'll have all the money you could ever want. And I'll be proud. No matter what."

He embraced her again, but Piper wasn't quite sure what to think anymore.

◼▲◼

The door flew open with a bang, "You volunteered yourself?!"

Harley jumped to his feet, crossing his arms sassily. "Yeah, I did, mom."

His mother was advancing towards him, her husband close behind.

She bent down to eye level, shaking his shoulders. Her brown eyes were wide open and filled with terror. "What did I tell you, Harley? You're twelve years old! I thought I told you if you wanted to enter that badly, wait until you're older!"

He shook himself out of her grip, "Then I'll have less of a chance of getting in!" He waited for his dad to back him up, but he just stared at him hopelessly.

She pulled him back, "You also have less of a chance of surviving! Listen to me, Harley. This is not a game! This is life or death!"

Harley tried to yank himself away again, but her grip was harsh. "Stop being ridiculous. You old people don't understand. The TV show is called the Hunger Games. Of course it's a game."

Shaking his head, his father whispered, "Please listen to your mother. You better take this seriously. This isn't like capture the flag or your three-legged races. You could die." His dad was one of the buffest guys in the district, but he was gentle and kind. But also annoying.

The twelve-year-old turned away, "I don't care what you think! When I win, I'll have my own mansion and I won't have to listen to you anymore." He stormed to the door and rapped on it, "Peacekeepers! Take them away!"

◼▲◼

His mother burst into the room, picking him up in a tight hug. "Oh Percy," she wailed.