7. Interviews

"A second reaping was held in District 2, is that correct?" Lester Apollo asked. "This time there were no volunteers."

"That's right," Beckendorf nodded. "There wasn't time to ask for volunteers again, since the process can get pretty complicated, especially in my district."

Apollo sat forward, his golden hair sprinkling glitter when he moved. "Did you volunteer in the first reaping?"

He shook his head. "No."

"So how did you feel?"

Beckendorf shrugged. "Not great. I've been training for the Games just like the others, but I'm not much of a fighter. I just like building and making things."

Lester patted his shoulder, "Those skills can still be useful in the Games, too." He grinned, flashing unnaturally perfect teeth, "Perhaps we're better off with you than little Harley. A tragic accident — he really missed out, didn't he?"

"Uh, yeah." Beckendorf was outwardly agreeing with the host's words, but he couldn't help wondering just what exactly the 'accident' was, but he and the other Careers were never given a straight answer. He'd overheard his mentors whispering about not wanting to 'give the other tributes any ideas,' but he wasn't quite sure what that meant.

Either way, he believed Harley had escaped, not missed out.

◼▲◼

Piper had been dangerous and gorgeous. Bryce had been vicious and brutal. Beckendorf was burly and quiet. Clarisse was tough as nails.

Silena wondered what she would be.

She sat as primly and delicately as she could in the interviewee chair. Harley had hardly been mentioned, so that was one tough subject avoided. She smoothed her long shimmery pink dress and smiled as Lester Apollo asked his first question.

"So, Silena," he began, "when you were reaped, your district stirred up quite a frenzy — almost more so than when I first announced I'd be the host. Why is that?"

Silena made herself look embarrassed. "Oh, I'm told that I'm a sight when I wield a spear. I can take on three people at once and win easily. My skill got me that ten in Training."

Right on cue, the audience oohed and ahhed, and she beamed with pride.

Lester's made-up face was a caricature of awe. "Ladies and gentlemen, we've got ourselves a warrior!"

The crowd burst into applause, which died down when Lester leaned forward to speak, "Now tell me, I've heard a few rumours floating about that you've got eyes for — and I can't blame you — a certain hottie in District Eight. What do you say to that?"

She giggled delicately. She could feel her own blush as Luke's face swam up in her head. "He is handsome, but he's also a tribute. There's not much point in going after him, is there?"

"That's true, but I can't blame you for liking him!" Lester joined in on her laughter. "Nevertheless, you two would be an excellent team." He smiled knowingly, "Any chance of an alliance?"

"He's already part of our team, actually."

The crowd gasped, cheering wildly.

Lester raised his voice. "And what do you think are your chances of winning? Pretty high?"

Silena pinched the fabric of her dress between her fingers, rubbing it nervously. "The people back in my district always said I'd win. So..." she clenched her fists, bunching the material up, "yes, I think I have a very good chance."