3. Opening Ceremonies

Rick Riordan waited for the twelve chariots to begin filling the loop of the City Circle from the lower balcony of the president's grand teal mansion.

He fixed his graying hair, then adjusted the grey wool suit he had on over a pastel blue button-up shirt he had an Avox iron twice.

On the buildings that surrounded the Circle, every window was packed with the most prestigious citizens of the Capitol. The president was above him, standing on a smaller balcony. He looked up at her and grinned, waving.

President Clair was a fairly short woman in her thirties, but she made up for her height with a keen eye, a cruel smile, and long hair professionally dyed a shade darker than black. She scowled down at him, and her indigo-painted fingernails clawed at the mahogany railing.

The Head Gamemaker smiled to himself. He knew he was a threat to her. She constantly drilled on and on about he pandered too much to the Capitol, and placed too much focus on turning the Hunger Games into some kind of "teen drama" instead of a way to keep Panem in line.

What a bore. The music began, and he and the other Gamemakers straightened.

He saw District 1 first. Always flashy, the two tributes — Bryce and Piper — were fitted with clothes covered in sparkling white gems. Both wore crowns on their heads. A bold move, as the crowns greatly resembled the one given to the winner. The two were beaming and waving at the roaring crowd, already favourites.

District 2 was impressive. Strong brown horses pulled a gilded bronze chariot, and Harley and Clarisse sported polished gold armour with silver accents. Riordan suspected that even the kid had a good chance at winning.

The citizens suddenly exploded into wild cheering. Riordan tore his eyes away to see District 3's mechanical horses pull a chariot that was — what was the word? — holographic. Nyssa and Leo appeared to be standing on platforms of glowing white energy. Their outfits were made to give them the impression of cyborgs from those ancient sci-fi movies. The boy was bouncing up and down and whooping, seeming to be having the time of his life.

Riordan could practically see President Clair's fingers twitching. He suspected that the two tributes had been heavily involved in the creation of their chariot. With that kind of new technology, the Arena wouldn't have to be built with a massive bothersome wall surrounding it.

A "force field"...that would be very useful indeed.

He was so distracted that he almost didn't notice District 4. Horses bearing fins, and a mother-of-pearl chariot. Perseus and Silena were dressed as a merman and mermaid, with glittering scales covering their lower bodies. The boy twirled a bronze trident. Silena had a gold net thrown over her shoulders, and a brassiere of brightly-coloured seashells.

The Head leaned forward with curiosity. Both of them did not seem genuinely happy. Unusual for tributes from a Career district. Making them kill someone would be fun to see.

The Power district had a chariot racing with what looked like live electricity, pulled by horses dyed a deep blue. Riordan regarded them with peaked interest. This was the first time two siblings were entering the Games together. Both had on determined expressions, their costumes simple blue suits with white outlines.

District 6 was nothing unique. Travis and Rachel Dare sat in a chariot shaped like a compact open-roofed car, like the last three years. Both were staring out into the crowd, apparently dazzled by the wild eccentricities of the Capitol citizens.

Travis was throwing winks at particular people in the crowd, one being a woman wearing a fluffy grey dress that took up her entire glass balcony.

He was already searching for sponsors, and being very personal about it, in a way that couldn't be ignored by the recipient.

Riordan nodded. He'd have to keep an eye on that one.

District 7 he barely spared a glance at. Will and Calypso were dressed as trees, and neither was very happy about it.

District 8 had a chariot covered in an intricately patterned cloth. Luke and Annabeth were wrapped in shawls of multi-coloured fabric. Their good looks instantly won the Capitol's favour, and Annabeth flashed a confident smile.

Being from the textile district, he wanted to bet that they wouldn't last a day, but there was a calculating glint in the girl's grey eyes that very much resembled President Clair's.

He resisted a yawn upon seeing the grain district. Robes made of wheat were so drab, and Margaret and Octavian's facial expressions showed their clear discomfort. They'd be killed off in the bloodbath for sure.

The tributes from the livestock district had fur coats on, and silently he laughed to himself. As if the citizens there could keep any of the furs they took from their animals.

Frank and Hazel, he observed, were standing much closer together than the others, except perhaps the Grace siblings. Star-crossed lovers? he thought excitedly.

Ethan and Maria from District 11 wore boring farmer's clothes, though he noticed that the girl glanced behind herself much too often.

Riordan immediately turned his gaze to District 12. Coal miner uniforms again; they really needed to hire new stylists. Katie anxiously stared at the crowd, while Nico's attention was on the chariot in front of him.

Do Maria and Nico know each other? the Head thought, but that is impossible...

The music ended with a flourish, and all cameras turned to President Clair as she moved to deliver the official welcome.

"We welcome you," she smiled with unnaturally perfect teeth and makeup. "We salute your courage and your sacrifice."

Riordan scanned the faces of each and every one of the tributes. Yes, this would be an interesting Games. He couldn't wait.

The president reached the end of her speech, "We wish you all a happy 24th Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favour."

Any alliance predictions? ;)