Ep 9 - "Safe"

I'm very sorry for the long wait! I'm in college now so I'm slightly stressed haha

And in case you haven't heard yet, The Hunger Games is getting a prequel! It takes place 64 years before Katniss's story and will be released on May 19, 2020

Anyway, enjoy this safe chapter :)

◼▲◼

"Calypso is looking for Leo," Rick said aloud to the employees. The president had stopped micromanaging him in favour of other duties. "Is that entertaining or just sad?"

The man pointed at a screen. "Well, the viewers think both. Lots of sad comments, but they're still watching as expected."

Rick nodded distractedly, then pointed at a different screen, one that showed the general location of each tribute on a large map. "Hey, they're pretty close." He signalled to an employee in the corner. "Drive these two together, will you?"

◼▲◼

Travis examined the blowgun in his hands and the small quiver that came with it.

The two Careers were still chasing each other and fighting it out. The third one had fled, and Travis turned out Piper's pockets but didn't find anything else.

He hid all the weapons he didn't want in a bush, and tossed Clarisse's empty backpack far off to the side as he walked away. Whether it was she or Bryce that won the fight, the one who returned would think it was Percy who had taken the supplies.

Travis gulped down some water and smiled grimly to himself. He was well off and could easily survive for a week without having to force himself to stay hungry or thirsty so as not to run out of supplies.

And with his new confidence and the weight of Leo off his shoulders, Connor felt closer than ever. He couldn't wait to see his family again.

Travis wasn't done with the forest yet, but he'd have to take a quick stop at the meadows first.

◼▲◼

This was her moment. Clarisse's spear moved like an extension of her arm. She knew how to control every piece of it, and it flashed as she swung it against Bryce's knife.

As always, he was overconfident and tried to block it. The force knocked him back and made him have to shake his arm to get the feeling back.

It would be an easy kill, she thought. Her spear sliced across his chest next time, but it didn't cut deep enough. He laughed, "Not bad!"

"Why are you so confident?!" she snapped.

He grinned, pond scum green eyes shining through his matted brown hair. "It's how I cope, silly."

She was suddenly thrown off-balance. Another earthquake had begun at the worst possible time.

Bryce was cackling. "I knew it!" he screamed. "The Gamemakers would never let me die! I am far too entertaining!"

"You little —" She started to throw her spear, but stopped herself when she realized the unpredictable shaking would almost guarantee a miss.

Bryce retreated, tripping and stumbling as he went. Clarisse stabbed the ground and let him go. Clearly, the Gamemakers didn't make the odds in her favour.

Her father would be disappointed.

◼▲◼

Nico stared at the morning sky through the dead leaves of the shelter. He and Will had fixed it after the earthquake shook half of it down and woke them up.