Chapter 2 - Part 3

Kate saw Tyler bolt from the house and figured he probably needed some time and space. She wanted to follow after him, to make sure he was all right, but she couldn't walk out of the house while everyone was still there.

By the time the guests left, the sun was already beginning its descent. The orange tinge streamed in through the long windows and cast a warm glow into the house, bringing along with it a hint of sadness. She took a sip of the coffee in her hand and gazed out at the distant horizon.

The mansion was set far apart from the rest of the world, and the acres of land around the house belonged to the late Mr. Hayes. Surrounding it was a wide expanse of trees that acted like a moat, keeping the house from the outside world.

She never understood what the late Mr. Hayes loved about this house. Looking out from where she was felt so lonely. She couldn't imagine how forlorn he must have been living all alone in the huge mansion.

Among the trees, a lone figure sat with one of his legs stretched out and his back against a tree.

She set the coffee down on the table and strolled toward him, pausing when she was a few steps away. "Are you all right?"

"Is everyone gone?"

She nodded. "Except for Marianne and Mr. Sawyer. Marianne's clearing away the food."

Tyler let out a heavy sigh. "Well then, let's see what the old man has in his will." Tyler got to his feet, dusted off the dirt on his pants, and headed toward the house.

Kate walked alongside him, tempted to observe the real-life manifestation of the boy from all the stories she'd heard.

She wanted to tell him how sorry the late Mr. Hayes was for abandoning him after his parents' death. She wanted to let him know that he was always on the late Mr. Hayes's mind.

But she knew in her heart that he wasn't ready. Her words would only end up pushing him away.

"Did you come alone?" Kate asked.

"Yeah. Just here to sit in for the will," he said a moment later.

If Kate hadn't known his story or seen his taut jaw when he took in everything within the house, his words would've made her think he was a cold-hearted person.

They returned to the mansion and headed into the kitchen in absolute silence.

Tyler wasn't ready to listen to anything that she had to say, and it was too hard for her to listen to what Tyler thought of his grandfather.

She didn't blame Tyler for being angry, but she couldn't bear listening to anyone speak badly of the late Mr. Hayes, not today.

By the time they got to the kitchen, Mr. Sawyer was already seated at the head of the table. The sixty-one-year-old veteran lawyer sat rigidly, his arm placed stiffly over the black folder on the table.

Kate took a seat across from Tyler and turned to Mr. Sawyer.

"Since we're all here, I shall begin. Miss Marianne West." Joel Sawyer faced the elderly woman seated next to him. "Mr. Hayes left you ten percent of all the money he had in his possession; that will be equal to slightly over four million dollars." Turning his focus to Kate, he continued. "You, too, Miss Mitchell. You will receive ten percent of the money. The rest will go to Mr. Tyler Hayes."

Kate blinked when she heard Mr. Sawyer's words. The late Mr. Hayes had always treated her kindly, but four million dollars? There must have been a mistake.

She shook her head, but Mr. Sawyer interrupted her before she could speak.

"There's more." He glanced at Tyler and her, his lips pressed into a thin line. "All the estates that the late Mr. Hayes owned will go to Tyler Hayes; all except this mansion."