Chapter 24 - Part 2

Ryan jumped out of the fire truck and started shouting out instructions. He couldn't believe how strong the fire had gotten within such a short period of time.

As the team got to work, Ryan noticed Tyler's car.

He'd hoped that Kate would appear beside Tyler. But when he saw the dazed look on Tyler's face, he knew Kate was inside the house.

He was about to run up to Tyler when a burst of flames shot through a window on the second floor. "Stay here! We'll find her," Ryan shouted to Tyler and sprinted up to his teammate who was carrying Evelyn in his arms. "Where did you find her?"

"She jumped out of the window. She was screaming for someone before she blacked out."

"Evelyn," Ryan said, shaking her lightly. But Evelyn was out cold.

He glanced back at the flames shooting out of the second floor.

He couldn't give up now. Maybe Evelyn and Kate got separated during the fire. "There's still someone inside. We need to find her." Ryan prayed he wouldn't fail Tyler on this.

He knew Tyler lost his parents in a fire. Tyler never spoke of it, so he didn't know the specifics. But he knew one thing for sure—if Kate were to die in the fire, Tyler wouldn't survive it either.

"The fire is too strong. The floors could give way anytime," his teammate said as Ryan moved toward the house.

"My friend's in there."

His teammate nodded, and without another word, they got to work. While the team doused water on the burning house, Ryan, along with two of his teammates, got ready to enter the house.

The raging roar of the fire took over the moment he stepped in. His gut was screaming at him to get out.

The fire was too strong.

It was too late.

"It's too dangerous! The structure isn't safe! We need to get out!"

"No!" He couldn't leave, not without Kate. But despite his best intentions, a slab of ceiling dropped heavily in front of them, blocking off their entry.

"Ugh!" Ryan shouted in exasperation and exited the house. When he stepped out, he pulled off his mask. But instead of going back to the fire truck, he turned to the side and looked for another way in.

He wasn't going to give up; his friend's life depended on Kate's survival.

He'd seen plenty of miracles in his line of work. He'd seen impossible situations turned around by what could be nothing but God's hand at work.

Keep her safe, Lord. I know you can do it; I've seen you do it.

_________________________________________________________

New parts will be uploaded every Tuesday! Do vote and add to your list if you've enjoyed reading!